Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Couple of technical clutch and pullstart questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of technical clutch and pullstart questions

Hi guys,
Purchased a 2001 Sportsman 500 HO. This is my first ATV. Replaced a bunch of stuff including cracked Primary clutch (EBS), belt , and broken recoil starter. The clutch seems to drag ever so slightly while stopped and squeels slightly just before coming to a stop. Need to ride it for about an hour before I hear the squeeling, but clutch drags all the time while stopped in gear, also clunks a little when shifting into gear and bike wants to move forward very slightly while idling at 1200 RPM. Was told it was normal because of the EBS? I also noticed after engine warms up, if I pull out the recoil handle it makes a slight hissing sound like its pressurized slightly with air. Was wondering what you guys thought about these things. Also was wondering if I can make the plastic body parts look better than the scratchy faded look they have. Tried WD-40 which made it look a little better, but looks crappy compared to new wheels and tires I put on her [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks guys, Don.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

ARMOUR-ALL WORKS GREAT SHINES UP THE WORSE OF MY SCRATCHES.DON'T LET IT GET ON CLEAR PLASTIC LENSES+INDICATER LIGHT LENSES-TURNS WHITE PERMANANTLY..MINE MAKES HIGH PITCH NOISES JUST BEFORE A STOP BUT I LIKE IT.....

Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Range Rover

rush of air normal,shows your seals are tight.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input guys, I appreiciate it. Still wondering about the dragging of the clutch. If I take the cover off and watch the clutch operate, at idle i can see that the belt is not touching the primary pulley sides, but the under side of the belt (the ribbed, grooved part) is in constant contact with the ribbed 1-way roller in the center of the pri clutch which must be causing the dragging. I understand the belt contacting the center roller needs to happen for the engine braking action to work, but thinking the free-wheeling effect of the 1-way roller should be more free to prevent the dragging effect. I did replace the whole primary clutch as a pre-assembled unit. So I guess I need to know if this is the normal operation of this clutch or maybe I got a defective one. Thanks again guys.

Don

Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If primary clutch assy is NEW,is rear clutch turning at idle? Should not! May need to be realigned,can take/add shims behind rear clutch and see if stops,also center to center of clutch bolts should be 10" Are you SURE that belt at front clutch NOT touching either side of clutch sheaths? Also front motor mount,check for damage,can also loosen mount at bottom nut and pull motor mount out or in to see if helps,JUST be careful with hand and arms! Keep us posted. Good luck