Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 Scrambler 500 clutch tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Scrambler 500 clutch tuning

Great site!
I just picked up a well used 04 500 Scrambler with an HSP pipe, K&N, & a jet kit.
Despite quite a bit of neglect & abuse, the motor runs very strong, & has loads of bottom end power, but the tranny shift out seams to be a bit late. (Very quick to about 20-30mph, but takes several blocks at high RPM for it to reach top speed)
It would benefit significantly in the mid range from the tranny changing out sooner.
I'm not sure if it has any clutch mods, or even where to look for excessive clutch wear, but the belt is new, & the color of the front spring is blue.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. -Matt in Florida

Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

take off your secondary clutch to check on the plastic buttons thatthe helix rides on to see if there worn out. ftwflh is a good guy to get help from on the scramblers. maybe he'll chime in today. welcome to the forum.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea check the secondary buttons first then check back

Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for reply. I pulled the driven clutch off to inspect the skids, & they appear to be in decent shape, with what appears to be a little less than 1/4'' of wear. at a glance, it looks as though you could simply rotate them & use the fresh side... is this possible ? Also, the Helix is stamped with "HSP 48/40S" & the spring is in the #2 hole. I'm assuming this is an aftermarket piece. Would I get a faster shift from swapping it into the #1 hole ?
On the drive clutch, I have a bright blue spring... No hint of green at all.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Change the buttons out they are only a few $ each.You seem to have the HSP kit.I ont care for their kits but some do.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

will do. What would I get out of swapping the secondary spring to the number 1 hole ?
Any other suggestions to make it shift sooner, as it's pritty late as is.
...I also have a red primary spring, that was given to me by a friend who sold his 500 Scrambler. any idea how it would act compared to the blue ?

Old 09-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

sounds to me like your secondary could have been wound way too tight. or even backwards. the 20-30 mph is prolly all the primary clutch doing the work. alotta times when aftermarket kits are installed by people who dont pay attention to the instructions, or get in a hurry, they can easily preload the secondary backwards. make sure you get a manual for this, or at least the instructions from hotseat.

when preloading the spring, you have the secondary on the bench. you should have the backside of the clutch facing up. grab the bottom with your left hand, and the top with your right. turn the top counterclockwise 1/3 of a turn

X

Old 09-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok... I pulled the secondary appart & replaced the pads w/ some I had that were in better shape. It had a white spring set on 2 & 2. I moved it to 1 - 1, & clocked the half closest to the helix 1/3 turn counterclockwise as per Xrated.
I took it for a quick ride & it seams to shift a little sooner, but still feels a bit above the powerband.
I fear the 48/40S helix might be too agressive for my tune.
Is the white spring a stocker ? Would a lighter secondary spring make it shift sooner ?
Also... on closer inspection, my primary spring is Blue AND Green, so I'm assuming my primary is all stock.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Quad Patrol

It wouldnt hurt to try a stock 40 deg. helix.And yes a lighter spring will upshift faster but backshift slower.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

dang where is all this info coming from and upgrades and mods? I cant find any of this stuff online, clutch kits, carb kits, springs

Quick Reply: 04 Scrambler 500 clutch tuning