Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 Sportsman 500 EFI Cycle Country plow mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Sportsman 500 EFI Cycle Country plow mount

I just picked up a used (12miles and 3 hours!!!!) 2008 Sportsman 500 EFI. I also bought a used Cycle Country state plow. I don't have the ATV at my house yet because I bought it off craigslist and my brother picked it up for 500 miles away (but only 10 miles from his place)! I am trying to get things all lined up for my winch and plow install so I am ready when it arrives in a few weeks.

The Cycle Country installation instructions indicate that the mount (the part that connects to the underside of the ATV frame) should be removed before trail riding. That seems like a CYA statement (cover your a**) though because it doesn't appear to affect ground clearance and is pretty beefy. Do you guys take the mount off in the spring or run with it on year round?

Here's a link the instructions: Cycle Country Mount

Old 09-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

I dont have the same bike as you, but I leave mine on with no problems at all.

I have a 2002 500 HO. I also have a handle to raise and lower the plow manually. I wrap a bungee around the handle and pull it back to the rear rack and I've not had any problems.

I've ridden my quad very hard. I am certainly pushing the limits that I'm capable of.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

its kinda like a skid pate..lol.. i have ran mine 3 years very hard,just too lazy to take it off..never realy seen a need to remove it..

Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

I have pretty much the same system on my old 95 Magnum. Polaris use to sell this system as their own before glacier came along. Mine has the Polaris logo on it and was bought as an option from the dealer.

I leave my mount on all year. It may degrade ground clearance an inch or two but not enough to really make a difference. If I bottom out with the mount on I'm gonna bottom out with it off anyway.

It's a pretty good set-up. Only thing to watch is getting rocks, sticks mud or debris getting in between those little mounting bracket tabs that the plow framework attaches to. You really can't see in between those little tabs when you're hooking up the plow and a rock or little chunk of wood hiding up there can making attachment the plow incredibly frustrating. Just remember to clean out the space between the tabs with your finger or a screwdriver to make sure nothing is jammed up there before you try to hook up the plow. I wrestled with mine for over an hour on a cold, wet and muddy garage floor one snowy day and finally discovered a chunk of wood jammed up there preventing the plow from engaging the tabs fully.

Getting those holes to all line up and getting the clevis pins through can be a pain sometimes. Like I said you have to crawl around on the floor to really get it hooked up successfully. And of course the garage floor is likely to be cold, wet and muddy in the winter. Cycle Country now makes a quick connect kit you can retrofit. Look around on their website at the plows and stuff and you can find ti there. Runs about 70 bucks. I intend to get one for mine.

Part Number is 10-0005 if you want to look it up.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to have a CMP plow that the tabs(?) where the pins go through were bigger and stuck down farther. I had to take that one off because I bashed it against rocks and stumps. The Cycle Country mount looks like it's not half as bad so I think you should leave it on.

P.S. You can get hitch pins or snap pins like my CMP used at any hardware store, Lowe's or Home Depot, and never worry about losing the hairpins for your clevis pins. One pin replaces both of them.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

825 worth of locks, chains, and alarms, so far!!!

what the heck!!!! keeping that new machine safe or what!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had Moose plows and now the Glacier and never removed the mounting plates for Summer use. I think you'll be ok leaving it on like the other's have said.

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

what the heck!!!! keeping that new machine safe or what!!!</end quote></div>

Trying. I need a few more things too. I don't want to buy a new quad every two months. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

what the heck!!!! keeping that new machine safe or what!!!</end quote></div>

Trying. I need a few more things too. I don't want to buy a new quad every two months. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Might be cheaper just to get insurance! LOL!
I think full coverage is only $150 per year! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

MT, jumbo has insurance, but even the best insurance companies will bulk after loosing, what is it up to now Jumbo, 5 quads?
I'm guessing that they will just refuse to pay if it happens again! Did you have any trouble getting them to pony up this last time Jumbo?

Quick Reply: 2008 Sportsman 500 EFI Cycle Country plow mount