ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   charging system (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/298961-charging-system.html)

mbet1 10-06-2008 06:06 PM

charging system

I have a 98 Polaris xplorer 300, I have 26 volts going into the cdi box, but only 8 volts coming out. I have found another cdi box, since Polaris has discontinued this part and I am awaiting for it to arrive. Is there soemthing else I should be looking at in addition to the cdi. Just wanted to make sure so I won't have to wait on another part

old polaris tech 10-06-2008 09:29 PM

charging system

Charging output on different phase of stator. IF thats what your post is about? Check that battery good,charging 14-14.5 volts a little above idle. If not then need specs on charging leads of stator assy OR bad reg/rectifier.

mbet1 10-06-2008 10:03 PM

charging system

The battery charges at about 6 volts when idling, about 8 when rpms are up. Of the 3 wires coming out of magneto one 26 volts the other like 3 volts and other must be a ground. Wouldn't the cdi need to output 13 or 14 volts to the main electric panel?

mbet1 10-06-2008 10:03 PM

charging system

The battery charges at about 6 volts when idling, about 8 when rpms are up. Of the 3 wires coming out of magneto one 26 volts the other like 3 volts and other must be a ground. Wouldn't the cdi need to output 13 or 14 volts to the main electric panel?

old polaris tech 10-06-2008 10:17 PM

charging system

6 volts to battery the problem! If machine is starting,need resistance check on charging! (446 ohms I think GREEN wire to BLACK/RED wire? Cant remember the color codes on a 98! If within 20% REPLACE reg/rectifier A manual is highly recommended if doing your own work! WORTH the money! Good luck

mbet1 10-06-2008 10:36 PM

charging system

Oh it runs fine, just have to hand crank, getting too old to do that though! Lights barely come on when running. I am doing the work myself so I will get a manual. I already bought a new cdi it should be here this week, it looks like I should've bought a new regulator also. You don't think I need a new stator assembly do you? I just thought I should have more electricity coming our of cdi. The machine runs fine, I would just like to use the electric start. I use it for mostly hunting. Thanks for all your advice, anything else I should know? I tried to go through my local dealer but they are not much help?

old polaris tech 10-06-2008 10:40 PM

charging system

Haynes or Clymer should have just the manual you need ! Good luck

Kerbbirds 10-07-2008 09:22 AM

charging system

As old polaris tech said the battery should test 12 volts when machine is off and 14-14.5 when running a little above idle, if not, either the battery is bad or its not being charged which is usually the regulator on the older bikes, running the machine with a dead battery can cause other problems, not good to do so for long.

mbet1 10-07-2008 04:38 PM

charging system

OK, now does the battery charge through the front electrical board or is there a wire that comes from the magneto directly to the battery. That's why I thought the cdi was bad because on 6 volts coming out of it to the front electrical board. No where on the front electrical panel is there 12 volts or more it's all 6 volts at idle. The only thing coming out of cdi is 6 volts. When you start machine without battery it only puts out6 volts back to battery. I thought the power to the battery came from up front after it goes through the cdi. But I'm no mechanic, just a weekend warrior. Let me know your thoughts, my new cdi hasn't arrived and I have a lock on a new stator and wiring, but I hate to buy a new stator if that's not the issue. I am going to try and check ohms at regulator if I can! Your thoughts

old polaris tech 10-07-2008 10:02 PM

charging system

Stator harness goes into cdi and also branches off to regulator rectifier which changes ac voltage to dc and sends voltage to battery. Above idle should be 14-14.5 volts if charging system good. As posted above USUALLY burnt out reg/rectifier on older machines that cause problems. IF you start machine without battery can blow out bulbs and CAN cause elec damage! Good luck