Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

charging system

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging system

I have a 98 Polaris xplorer 300, I have 26 volts going into the cdi box, but only 8 volts coming out. I have found another cdi box, since Polaris has discontinued this part and I am awaiting for it to arrive. Is there soemthing else I should be looking at in addition to the cdi. Just wanted to make sure so I won't have to wait on another part

Old 10-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default charging system

Charging output on different phase of stator. IF thats what your post is about? Check that battery good,charging 14-14.5 volts a little above idle. If not then need specs on charging leads of stator assy OR bad reg/rectifier.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default charging system

The battery charges at about 6 volts when idling, about 8 when rpms are up. Of the 3 wires coming out of magneto one 26 volts the other like 3 volts and other must be a ground. Wouldn't the cdi need to output 13 or 14 volts to the main electric panel?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default charging system

The battery charges at about 6 volts when idling, about 8 when rpms are up. Of the 3 wires coming out of magneto one 26 volts the other like 3 volts and other must be a ground. Wouldn't the cdi need to output 13 or 14 volts to the main electric panel?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Default charging system

6 volts to battery the problem! If machine is starting,need resistance check on charging! (446 ohms I think GREEN wire to BLACK/RED wire? Cant remember the color codes on a 98! If within 20% REPLACE reg/rectifier A manual is highly recommended if doing your own work! WORTH the money! Good luck

Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default charging system

Oh it runs fine, just have to hand crank, getting too old to do that though! Lights barely come on when running. I am doing the work myself so I will get a manual. I already bought a new cdi it should be here this week, it looks like I should've bought a new regulator also. You don't think I need a new stator assembly do you? I just thought I should have more electricity coming our of cdi. The machine runs fine, I would just like to use the electric start. I use it for mostly hunting. Thanks for all your advice, anything else I should know? I tried to go through my local dealer but they are not much help?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Default charging system

Haynes or Clymer should have just the manual you need ! Good luck

Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default charging system

As old polaris tech said the battery should test 12 volts when machine is off and 14-14.5 when running a little above idle, if not, either the battery is bad or its not being charged which is usually the regulator on the older bikes, running the machine with a dead battery can cause other problems, not good to do so for long.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default charging system

OK, now does the battery charge through the front electrical board or is there a wire that comes from the magneto directly to the battery. That's why I thought the cdi was bad because on 6 volts coming out of it to the front electrical board. No where on the front electrical panel is there 12 volts or more it's all 6 volts at idle. The only thing coming out of cdi is 6 volts. When you start machine without battery it only puts out6 volts back to battery. I thought the power to the battery came from up front after it goes through the cdi. But I'm no mechanic, just a weekend warrior. Let me know your thoughts, my new cdi hasn't arrived and I have a lock on a new stator and wiring, but I hate to buy a new stator if that's not the issue. I am going to try and check ohms at regulator if I can! Your thoughts

Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Default charging system

Stator harness goes into cdi and also branches off to regulator rectifier which changes ac voltage to dc and sends voltage to battery. Above idle should be 14-14.5 volts if charging system good. As posted above USUALLY burnt out reg/rectifier on older machines that cause problems. IF you start machine without battery can blow out bulbs and CAN cause elec damage! Good luck

Quick Reply: charging system