Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rattling noise, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise, help please!

Hi, I was just riding my atv about an hour ago and was on the road doing about 30mph, well i then start hearing a rattling noise coming near the front left tire inward a little bit, When I got home I inspected it a little bit and did not notice anything! The noise starts when I give it some gas and it occurs in all gears(hi,lo,reverse,neutral) but when I put it into neutral and let it roll down a hill without revving it up I hear no noise. Please help.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CV joint

Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, thanks for your response, about an hour ago I got around to checking it out a bit further and noticed it is not where I said it was before. it is directly below the seat it seems.I have no idea what this is called but its a plastic cover near your left foot if your sitting on the atv, it sounds as if there is literally a rock in there. But I doubt its a rock because I'll be going at roughly 25mph,can hear the rattling noise, then take it out of gear and put it in neutral and the sound immediately goes away. Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the clutch/belt cover.Take it off and check the belt and the condition of the clutches

Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Notorious for polaris...while listening to rattle, grab a crowbar or something and gently pull on the exhaust pipe. This is how I isolated mine to one area. Alot of times screws that hold the heat shields loosen up and rattle. The sounds travels all over the place and drives you nuts. Mine have come loose under my seat, there are three under there, and also down near my foot there is a screw that is mounted to a bracket that pushes up on th eexhaust that comes loose.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys, I just took off the clutch/belt cover(god what a pain in the ***), and noticed the belt needs to be replaced. A piece was hanging off and hitting the cover causing this noise. I'm gonna be replacing it soon.

Thanks!!!