Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil vs. coolant heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil vs. coolant heater

I'm embarressed to say, but I overlooked something on my 04.5 SP500. While doing a check before a ride last night I discovered the right front plastic A-arm guard has been sawing through my bottom rad hose. Worst part is these little atv parts like the hose are more expensive than parts for my dump truck. So now that I have to replace the hose and loose the coolant I was debating installing a coolant heater. I use my Sportsman to plow all winter, and while I've never had a problem with starting, do you think the cost of the heater is worth any benefit it will gain in being easier on the engine? I've also had the parts guy at the dealer tell me the oil tank heater works better? Any thoughts on this?

p.s. I took the hack saw to the top corner of that a-arm guard. It won't be sawing through my new hose now.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

IMO it superheats the anti freeze or oil right where the heater element touches.it also dries out the hose prematurely anywhere element is near.also might add additional possible leak points, jmo.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had or needed any kind of engine heater before. If you need it on your car or truck then I guess the ATV could use one too. If nothing else needs it the ATV doesn't either.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a coolant heater on my big truck and it works good(dielse) but i think a oil heater would be faster as it heats up the block quicker. but most dont have any issues in the winter. imo.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Primus, with you living in Ontario it's hard to say. I'd stay away from any heater that applies heat to any rubber component as MECHANIKE said. Maybe a block heater or dip stick style heater would be best. But if you store the quad indoors even in an unheated garage I wouldn't worry about it. Just put a good light weight winter oil indigenous to your area and you'll be fine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

I've installed inline heaters on 2 differant diesel jettas without a problem. I would say a stick-on heater on the block would also work. If you have hydro where you store your bike put a trouble light near the block for an hour before you ride and it'll heat as well. I've heated an old diesel tractor by building a small contained fire under the oil pan as well, but I don't recomend that LOL

Old 10-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SCRAMMYTODD

I've installed inline heaters on 2 differant diesel jettas without a problem. I would say a stick-on heater on the block would also work. If you have hydro where you store your bike put a trouble light near the block for an hour before you ride and it'll heat as well. I've heated an old diesel tractor by building a small contained fire under the oil pan as well, but I don't recomend that LOL</end quote></div>

Good idea. Incandecent bulbs waste 90% of their energy making heat instead of light. My uncles used a lightbulb to heat the well shed (pumphouse?) on the farm. That was in the U.P. of Michigan back when they had 14 foot drifts and still had 6 feet of snow on the ground in springtime. A lightbulb was all it took before global warming so it should work even better now.