Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch problem??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem??

Hey everyone I am new here, but not new to 4 wheeling. But anyways, I am having a trouble out of my 250 trailblazer. It happened suddenly while crossing a long watery mud hole (slowly). The best way that I can describe how it is acting is like trying to start out in 3 gear on a manual tranny. It bogs considerlbly, but once overcame will get up to speed. It was very nerve wrecking when the truck was 2 miles away with nothing but hills between us.

With is what I have done to far:
-checked to see if it had ingested any water under the clutch cover, NO
-checked the belt for extensive wear, not worn yet
-checked the counter weights for excessive wear, none is noticeable
-drive clutch engages freely with no bidding
**upon taking off the driven clutch and flipping it over I heard something rattle, but i don't know if it is suppose to make that sound.

Other than that I don't know what to act on, or what else to check.
Any help or suggestions on this trouble would be extremely helpful.

Thanks, Derek

Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch problem??

I have seen the 2 strokes have problems like this i did with mine 2 it wasn't the clutch it was the engine that wasn't making enogh power to move but on flat level ground it would slowly creap up to 15 or 20 mph and then it would clear out and run fine but then act up again when it slowed down. we found this problem to be a dirty carb, fuel filter, air filter . I would sugest replacing your spark plug 2. this may not be your problem but is a good posibility.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch problem??

That rattling in NOT suposed to be there!I bet you smoked and broke the ramp buttons in trhe secondary.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Clutch problem??

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

That rattling in NOT suposed to be there!I bet you smoked and broke the ramp buttons in trhe secondary.</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] DITTO on the ramp button damage!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch problem??

You would be absolutly right on that guys, I took apart the secondary clutch night night to find three peices of metal in there, what was left of the buttons. 9 dollars is all it is going to cost to fix it. To many hard acccelerations and hill climbing finally caught up with me. Which brings me to another question, the tension on the spring was set on 2 - 2, if i remember right. I know it is the second heaviest spring setting, i wonder if i put it in the heaviest spring setting to give maxium belt tension, if it would make many difference in my hill climbing. I know I need to get another primary clutch spring and counter weights, b/c I am needing more power off the start, I would be more than happy to get that even if it means I lose little speed.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Default Clutch problem??

By changing to a stiffer setting on the secondary it will raise your top rpm some and with a stock pipe could loose you power.
THe best thing you could do on a 250 Trailblazer is get a HPD pipe and matching clutch kit.Or if $$$$$ is a problem go with RcR Stage one kit.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch problem??

Be sure to twist the clutch a third of a turn for spring tension when you put it back together.

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch problem??

I had an HPD pipe on it a couple of years ago and I ate a hole in my piston and then again in an aftermarket piston. The only thing they could find out was a crankcase leak that did it. If I knew that the pipe wouldn't do that again I would put it back on. But I really didn't notice all that much change in power though.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Clutch problem??

If you dont clutch for the pipe you wont gain any performance and in most cases loose power this can cause engine damage.
The HPD pipe with S58 weights,HPD red/yellow primary,HPD gold or violet secondary with get it set correctly.This will get you the opwer to run with the 300-350 sport quads.I ran this for many yrs with no problems.Even after porting it was great.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch problem??

There lies the problem then, b/c the wonderful people at my polaris dealership said I did not have to re-clutch it. I should have, and have been looking at the pipe sitting in the corner thinking about putting it back on and buying the springs to clutch it right for the pipe. I can pretty much leave everybody on the trails b/c of how it sits up and responsive it is, but would love to have more power to keep up on the straight aways, and for climbing hills. I can already climb pretty good with it now, but just a little more power out of that pipe and clutch would feel in the gaps. I was talking to a buddy today about the pipe and I told him I had the HPD MTD pipe, their most aggressive one, and he just laughed says I should have clutched it and I wouldn't have had the engine problems. With taht pipe on I would almost have what HPD calls their Race Mod kit, minus the porting and clutch, b/c the engine has been bored due to having to rebuild it twice. I am just scared to run it b/c of what has happened, if I knew clutching would solve the problem I would do it tonight.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem??