Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Solenoid

I have a 95 300 4x4. Today when I tried to start up all I got was clicking from the solenoid. I didn't try and jump the switch yet but it is my assumption that it is bad. Is there reason to believe that I am mistaken? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default Polaris Solenoid

Did you check your battery? It might not have enough voltage to turn over. If it's making a clicking noise it's probably working.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris Solenoid

if your starter is stuck it will just click too. a clicking noise is normal because thats the sound of the contacts closing together to send volts to the starter. i would check your starter first. i bet it got water in it and the brushes are either stuck or burned up.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Polaris Solenoid

and one final thing is to check connectons for corrsion as well. to me i would check conn,battery volt, solnoide, then starter. imo.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Solenoid

Thanks for your feedback. I replaced the solenoid and all the connections were very corroded. I cleaned them all up. Battery was aftermarket and looked pretty old so I bought a new one. Am charging it as I write and will install it later or tomorrow. I am hoping that it will crank right up. I'll post the results. Thanks again for all your advice and feedback!!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Polaris Solenoid

well if that doesnt work then you know it will be the starter. good luck.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Solenoid

Well I guessed wrong. New battery, new soleniod, cleaned connections, and just clicks again. So I'm in the process of taking the starter off. Any suggestions on aftermarket starters? I can't afford at this point to buy one from Polaris. Thanks very much in advance.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Polaris Solenoid

Parts Unlimited or several other sources have replacement starters cheaper than oem,we keep em in stock. Our parts guy up on prices which seem to change weekly! Good luck

Old 11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Solenoid

Hey eggenz7, you were right on the money man!! I took my starter apart and there was rust and water everywhere. I'm surprised that it started for as long as it did. I have bought a new starter and will install it tomorrow. Thanks for your insight.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Solenoid

I'm installing my aftermarket starter to my 95 Polaris 300 4X4 today and I am curious about a threaded hole on the flywheel end of the starter case perpendicular to the mounting holes on the face, where it mates with the flywheel cover. The hole that I am talking about is a through hole directly above the gear on the top of the armature. The starter that I took off (Bad one) also aftermarket, had the same hole and nothing threaded into it. Since it would be a direct access for water into the starter my thought is to just cap it off. Does anybody have any insight into what the hole is for?

Quick Reply: Polaris Solenoid