Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to the forums

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forums

Hey guys n gals,

I ride sportbikes (GSXR's a 600 & 750) and dirt bikes (CR & XLR 250's) and have just added the Sportsman to the toy stable. We primarily bought it as a work machine for our woodlot.

The machine is a used 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI from a local dealership. It has 180 hours and less then 2000 miles on it. I took the machine for a short ride on thier lot before purchasing it but it was by no means a thorough inspection. I assumed that as the machine was being sold by a dealer it would be in good working order as they had replaced the right CV.

I got the bike home and took it for a ride to the lake in the back and noticed a couple things not right.

- Hand warmers not working. Not a huge deal I'm sure I can fix or replace them. When I turn them to low on I see the lights dim a bit but they don't warm up.

- Winch not functioning properly as there is a wire short/poor connection in the harness just below the steering. I spent some time and tracked it down last night.

I got lucky as I had intentionally gotten into a point where I needed the winch to extricate me, it worked long enough to get me out of the hole I was in but then stopped working and I could not wind up the slack back into the winch. I could power spool wire out but it wouldn't wind it back in.

- A nasty creaking bearing munching sound from just below me when using reverse while the suspension is under load or flexed. It definately feels as if it is in the rear drive axle or joints.

I'm going to mention these things to the dealership today and see if they will look into it. I am certian I can diagnose and remedy the electrical issues, but the creaking drive train when under load in reverse sounded expensive to me.

I took the time last night to look it over a bit more and it does not appear that maintenance was high on the priority list of the previous owner. All joints where grease nipples were present were dry and rusted in appearance.

If anyone can give me some pointers as to what to look for or if anyone can point me in the direction to a PDF version of the owners manual or service manual it would be excellent.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

from the sound of it you got a bike that had been dogged out, or used on a farm. everything you listed sounds bad but can all be repaired. the motor and the frame are intact, so most of your worrys are over. the winch probably needs new wires and the hand warmers need looked at. as for the reverse sound, you will want a dealer to check that out.

congrats on the quad, and welcome to the fourms...

Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DeathValleyReaper
congrats on the quad, and welcome to the fourms...</end quote></div>

Thanks!

I called the dealership and they are going to pick the bike up and take it in to inspect and fix any issues with it. Good stuff!

When I told them about the dry (greaseless) universal joints he was surprised and said the unit should have had the periodic service maintenance done to it before it left the shop.

You always take a gamble when you buy used...in this case I am happy I went thru the dealership instead of a private sale where the onus to put it in good working order would have been on my shoulders.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Congratulations on your new machine, I had an 05 700 and it was a good solid bike. I am sure once fixed, you will get a lot of use out of it.

I must warn you however that while you bought your ATV for "work", I did this many years ago too as I was primarily a street bike/dirt bike guy too only to find out they are a lot of fun too. I now have two as well as a Rhino "for work".

Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tripleR

Congratulations on your new machine, I had an 05 700 and it was a good solid bike. I am sure once fixed, you will get a lot of use out of it.

I must warn you however that while you bought your ATV for "work", I did this many years ago too as I was primarily a street bike/dirt bike guy too only to find out they are a lot of fun too. I now have two as well as a Rhino "for work".</end quote></div>

LOL

The "work" machine was to get the wife's blessings. I had to work at convincing her we needed it for hauling our own firewood and for getting gear in and out of the camp. I wanted the Rhino but wasn't prepared to fork out the additional $$$. How do you find it for hauling and working? Our property is new to us and the trails are still being made and I didn't know how well the Rhino would handle in the raw bush.

I have only a couple short rides under my belt with the 05 800 sportsman but my initial impression is this machine is a BEAST. Very easy to handle but heavy and you gotta be careful on side slopes.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Groovy,

A BIG welcome to the Forum!

After reading about all the problems you have, looks to me like you should RETURN it to the dealer. They sold you a obviously poorly maintained, beat-on, abused ATV.

Take that $$ and go buy a Honda Rubicon. You wrote that you primarily bought it as a "workhorse for the woodlot." The Rubicon's solid rear axle, transmission, and low maintenance requirements makes it the perfect 'workhorse' imo.

BTW, the solid rear axle quads are VERY stable compared to IRS ATVs on hills and off-camber situations. They also won't squat with a heavy load like IRS does.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, that's how I got my first one; all about "work". I used it in our woods to clear brush and to haul deer out as fortunately my wife likes to deer hunt also. You are right in your impression of the Polaris, it is a tank and you have to be careful on side slopes, but it was no worse than my 08 Grizzly as anything with IRS tends to be that way it seems. I have had to ride on the uphill floorboard to keep it upright. It lacks the "refinement" of some of the others, but mine was a really solid machine and I hated to get rid of it.

I love my Rhino even more than I thought I would as it is a real good compromise between sport and utility. I had owned a Mule for years and while they are good for work aren't much fun to use. My Rhino will go over and through anything I have come across. I have good skid plates on it and it will go through brush and over logs as well as saplings. I can go places on my property that I have never been and it is much more stable in the hills. I do not worry about it rolling over or flipping back. It is also narrow enough and maneuverable enough to go through just about any opening my ATV will.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do a search on here for the pdf manual and you should be able to find the post and then down load it off the site. if you cant find it maybe i can email you a copy of the one i have.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum Groovy!
Theres a lot of good info posted in this forum!
Enjoy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Groovy check your PM's also just in case.

Also you can get a PDF of the owners manual off the Polaris site.

Quick Reply: New to the forums