Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 Scrambler with a low range transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Scrambler with a low range transmission

Here's what i want to do. I have a 95 250 Trailboss that needs a tranny(GF's daughters, bought it with a broken output shaft, she liked the color!) I have a 96 Scrambler(no problems) What I am hoping to do is put a High/Reverse/Low 4x4 tranny in my scrambler(already built) into my machine and put my stock tranny in hers. I have a gear selector box off the h/l/r tranny to use also. I don't have the limiter plugged in so i don't care about the gear selector switch wiring and will wire the 4wd so it works, when I want it to and the switch is turned on, IF it won't work with the different terminal boards(which i have a feeling it will wire and work the way it should just fine)

My question is this. Have any of you ever done this(RR, FTWFLH, OPT??) It appears that it SHOULD all fit ok with mods of course. Just curious if anyone has tried this and what they ran into, if anything.

Thanks

PS- Anyone have stock rear rims for the 96? Aftermarkets? Let me know if you want to get rid of them.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

It's been done.Guy on here smoked his trannsmission and bought a xplorer 400 tranny that had high and low and he said it worked great.I don't know about the wiring.As far as stock rear rims I have a set of tires?

Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will work but I have never did it.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

In case anyone is curious. I did get it done about 3 weeks ago. Here's what I had to do.

parts i used(had laying around)
H/R/L trans
H/R/L gear selector box, with switch, and shift linkages
Gutted Xplorer frame(to cut parts off)
[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

I put the rebuilt trans in which bolted up with no mods at all.
I tried to measure approx where the gear selector box and shift lever needed to be so it wouldn't hit the frame, exhaust pipe, or the fenders where the hole is cut for the stock shift arm.
I cut the angled frame rail out of the Xplorer(the one that has the gear selector box mount in it)
I cut the bracket holding the original gear selector out of the Scrambler.
I cut and welded the frame rail(after guessing, measuring, etc.) to the scrambler angled frame rail close to where the original was.
I cut the shift rod ends off the original ones, measured the distance I needed for my new shafts, and welded them to shaft stock I bought(the original shafts were way too short)
I disassembled the h/r/l gear selector box and removed the shift lever assy. I cut the weld off the shift lever to the "pivot" assembly. I then removed the shift lever from the pivot assy.
I modded the original shift lever bottom end to fit in the pivot assy out of the h/r/l gearbox.
I bent the original shift lever where it needed to be bent(and still fit the hole cut in the fenders) and installed it into the pivot assy and welded it together.
I reassembled the selector box and installed it.
I hooked up the wiring from the selector box and it all functioned as it should.
I reassembled the entire machine and took it for a ride.
I will have to cut the opening in the fenders a little on the front and rear to accomodate the travel on the shift lever. It stayed in gear most of the time, but even a small jump could(not always) pop it out of gear.
This thing will crawl like crazy! It's pretty cool. Plus you can't tell by looking at it that anything has been done to it.
It was a rewarding experience that I will never do again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Serious. It's cool, but not worth the effort in my opinion for no more than I get to ride it, or the terrain I actually do ride in, and whether low is needed or not where and when I do get to ride.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a GREAT update! Heck...if someone else has the energy...they might end up doing the same mod...and this thread should help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to know it all came together. Having something one of a kind that you built is an awesome feeling.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Next mod??? Maybe a beer cooler that sits in a mount like the compasses on ships so it doesn't get shook up! Now that would be something!

Of course you could use it for pop, iced tea, gatorades, etc. too!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Moto Psycho

RAM-Mount self leveling drink holder. http://www.ram-mount.com/drink...unt/drinkcup_mount.htm

Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Not one beer, but a whole cooler full! I've seen those.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Moto Psycho

When you said cooler I wondered if you meant a whole cooler or just a can cooler. Maybe you can rig something up with bungees so it just hangs there.

Quick Reply: 96 Scrambler with a low range transmission