Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mudlites on stock rims and clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudlites on stock rims and clearance issues

I took a few pictures of the Mudlites on the stock 850 XP rims. The clearance changes quite a bit when you lift on the rack and when you pull down on the rack. If the machine lifted off the suspension the tires would definitely rub on the tire. If the machine was loaded on the back rack you could have up to an inch of clearance. The spacers are the way to go.
Name:  Clearancejustsitting-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  77.9 KB
Name:  Clearancewithslightdownpressure.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  47.9 KB
Name:  Clearancewithslightuppressure.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  50.3 KB
Name:  Clearancewithspacers.jpg
Size:  79.0 KB
Name:  Mudlitesonstockrims.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB
Name:  Mudliteswithspacers.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  77.5 KB
I hope the pictures work
Take care
Dave

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

The pictures did have titles! So the first is just as the bike sits without any pressure. The second picture is with a little downward pressure and the third is with a little upward pressure. I can see where it might be confusing but I could only lift or pull down with one arm while taking the pictures. Believe me it does change a fair bit. I wouldn't want to catch one of those lugs when the quad's back end lifted up at 30 mph. The fourth picture is with the spacers installed and then the Mudlites on the stock rims and then the back with the spacers installed. I hope this make everything as clear as mud.
Dave

Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep, looks like the spacers were definitely the way to go with those tires/rims. Nice looking skins! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

Looks good!
I have a couple of questions.
What are the spacers size?
Where did you get them?
And if you don't mind how much?
Whats your width?
TIA.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Range Rover

The spacers are an inch and a quarter and I picked them up from the Polaris dealer. They came to $200.00 Canadian. The width now is 50.5 inches. It was a 5 minute change over and solved a lot of possible problems. It also made the clearance between the caliper and the ID of the rim greater.(3/4 of an inch)
Take care
Dave

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wheres the front pic clearance? on the 08' and down sportsman it ws always thr front width issues w/ the wider tires. hows the clearance on them?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

wheres the front pic clearance? on the 08' and down sportsman it ws always thr front width issues w/ the wider tires. hows the clearance on them?</end quote></div>

I don't think there is a problem with the front clearance, so the spacers would only be used for the rear tires clearance issue. If I'm wrong let me know Griz![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Good pics 600Grizzly! I think thats the way I'll go too!
Is there any difference in the way it handles?
I haven't decided on whether to go with the mud lites or the Bighorns.
What do you all think? We have lots of rocks around here!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats what its like w/ the new 08 400. the issue is w/ the rear tires instead of the front now. most likley w/ the new front arm design they have way more room (hence the 14" tires/rims) to play with for sure. havent even looked at them very much.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Looks good Dave. How is the backfire?
Stendori-The front clearance isn't an issue so far as I have seen. The main clearance issue in the rear is the sway bar,if that wasn't there you could fit pretty wide tires with no issues. I think bending the sway bar a little would provide enough clearance for 11's without any real noticeable side effect,except maybe quicker bushing wear. If I didn't like the wider track to keep my fenders off the trees I would mount mine on the stock wheels and bend the sway bar just to try it.
I think the next issue on the rear would be with diameter. With 31's(not that most of us here want or need 31's lol) I think you need to trim the back edge of the foot well where it comes up to the fender. With the rolled IRS the tire comes forward during extension and rearward during compression. So with the tire hanging it closes the gap to the foot well.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

The front has a lot of clearance so it isn't an issue. I just put the spacers on last night and I just got back from a trip so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I'm not sure about the backfire because I re adjusted the throttle cable adjuster just before I left for my trip. At the moment it's pissing down and I now have to use my larger trailer to take my quad out which means getting my smaller trailer out of the way. Parking sucks when you live on a hill [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Take care,
Dave

Quick Reply: Mudlites on stock rims and clearance issues