Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Quadovator kits killing PDM true???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadovator kits killing PDM true???

Just want some feedback from you guys on a comment that my Poo retailer said when my machines PDM was dead. According to them and Polaris Scandinavia the reason that my PDM was broken, was that I had installed the Quadovator reverse override lock kit http://www.quadovator.com/812717.html and the 3 headlight mod.

My machine is a 2007 500 sportsman efi dlx.

Comments and of course facts much appreciated.

//Rob

Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Quadovator kits killing PDC true???

what is the pdc, the computer? if the upgrades are done right like the reverse override it shouldnt have any ill effect on the bike. i made my own override with out any issues. imo.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Range Rover

I don't know what the "pdc" is either, but I've been running the quadovator 3-light and reverse light set-ups on my 07 500 X2 since it was new with no problems. I think dealers are quite happy to immediately blame any problems with these machines on any modifications done by the owner.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

PDM that is. Sorry for spelling it right. But it is the ECU of the ATV. On non-efis it is called ECM.

//Rob

Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

Same here...

I do it myself the reverse kit and 3 lights mod ( made it by myself ) and never have a single problem.....

Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

The reverse lock and headlight mod have NOTHING to do with anything failing, NOTHING!!!

However they can try to blame it on that, or they can just flat out void your warranty from farting around with the electrical, but you are at their mercy no mater what. My advice is find a different dealer hope that they don't say anything.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

I am not sure on all the components of the quadovator kit but if there is not a diode parallel to the relay coil going to the ECU there will be a large voltage spike when the relay drops out due to counter emf wich could damage the ECU.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I as well have bought and installed their products with success on several Sportsman models and
years (SP450 2006, SP800 2006, SP500 2007, SP700 2007, SP800 2008). No issues and no problems.
I even had my wifes ECM recall warranty service done after the 3-light mod install, no issues, no complaints
from dealer.

BTW, check your model, you may be having the ECM recall issue NOT quadovator product problem. - IMHO

Regards,

R'

Old 12-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

I as well have bought and installed their products with success on several Sportsman models and

years (SP450 2006, SP800 2006, SP500 2007, SP700 2007, SP800 2008). No issues and no problems.

I even had my wifes ECM recall warranty service done after the 3-light mod install, no issues, no complaints

from dealer.

BTW, check your model, you may be having the ECM recall issue NOT quadovator product problem. - IMHO

Regards,

R'</end quote></div>

Thx everyone for the info.
I have heard that about the voltage spike, but since I am not an electrician I can't say much about it. My PDM was not a recall issue I am sorry to say, but the quality of the PDMs really suck in my opinion.

I will give the quadovator mods one more try and if the PDM fails again they are going of. USD $400 for each PDM change plus shipping kills me if they will continue to break.

Apart from that I really love my 500 efi dlx. Starts immediately when turning the key and when I removed the swaybar it started to work great when going offroad, climbing and playing and such. Going fast on gravel roads on an ATV feels more dangerous than fun for me so I can easily live with the negative sides of removing the sway bar.

//Rob

Old 12-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Pro Rider

I got the info below off the Quadovator website. We've been using Quadovator mods for over 10 years with no ill-effects whatsoever. In fact, I can't imagine a Polaris machine without them, but to each their own.

A word about Electrical Modifications on machines Under Warranty........

All of our products that involve electrical modifications are used by us on our own vehicles and by those in our riding group. In almost all cases this means these mods have thousands of miles of "field testing" on them before they get to you so if they are installed according to directions they do what they're supposed to without causing any problems. We even have many Polaris dealers selling and installing our products.

But that doesn't mean if you take your machine in for warranty work your dealer may not refuse a warranty claim because you've modified your electrical system. Most dealers don't understand these mods or how they work so they become an easy target for suspicion, and some dealers just don't care enough about keeping your business to look beyond the mods and fix the real problem. (When most mechanics see the mods they just say "cool!")

So if your machine is still under warranty you may want to consider your relationship with your dealer and how you think he might handle a warranty claim before you make changes to your electrical system. Just because we know the mods are safe for your machine doesn't mean he does.

Quick Reply: Quadovator kits killing PDM true???