Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do I really need EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need EFI?

So I already own a 08 Touring 500 EFI but now I am in the market for a second sportsman. This one wouldn't get used as much as the touring will. Also most the riding will be in WI so elevation will not be a factor.

I am looking at used bikes on places like ebay and other places. So my question should I spend the extra money and get EFI or will a carb'd one fit my needs.

I went out and looked at a local for sale ad. A guy has a 05 500 HO carb that has 1,110 miles and comes with a warn winch and a glacier 1 plow system on it. He is asking 3,800 for it but could probably could knock off a few hundred. It is in nice shape a few scratches but that's it. Is this a good deal?

YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED

Old 12-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

Not a good deal on the carb right now. You can get a new 08 500 carb for $4490.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't sound like you "need" efi. You are obviously familiar with it since you have it on your 500. I think the biggest advantage of it, atleast for me, is the change in elevation factor. I live at 4200 ft, ride to the top of the mountain and I'm at over 8000, go to the coast and at sea level. Nice not to have to rejet, etc. Also, no choke is nice, especially for the wife. If I were you I would save the money if that's the case. As for the 05 500 you are looking at it really depends on what is available locally and if you are willing to travel to save some money. And PATIENCE! For example, a friend of mine just bought an 05 500 with only 3 hours ( not a misprint! ) for only $4500! However, I would look hard at the new ones. They are offering some excellent deals that make me sick since I bought mine last year when things were "good"! LOL!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

I would go for efi, and I did this last summer when I bought my 500 x2. I live in N WI and mainly ride there but at some point, I may wish to take the bike out to SD or Wyoming hunting. I also like the no choke. I remember my father's bikes years ago that when they got a few miles/years on them, they started hard in the cold and we were always choking the he*l out of them just to get them to try and turn over. Flooded a few back then which sucked.

I don't have to worry about that with efi. For me, it's worth the extra money.

I don't think that ATV you posted about is too bad of a deal. At least not up here. Not sure if you can get the carb models for about the same price and I would check into that with several dealers before I even went into a deal with a private party. Most people around here want WAY TOO MUCH for any bike. I started off looking for used and found that most people were selling 2-3 year old bikes for maybe 1000 less then new. Since I was looking at spending 5000 or so, an extra 1000 for a warranty, new bike, and knowing that the bike wasn't rolled, abused, submerged, and properly cared for was well worth it.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM
DCT
Banned

Mine has a carb, and so far it has worked fine. With that said, I would have preferred the EFI in an instant, hadn't it been for the $1,000 difference in price for the EFI and extra's that came with it.

Next one will be an EFI for sure.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

Couple of things you have to remember too. Carb doesn't have engine braking, has the 489 tires (not as good as the PXTs that EFI come with) and it only comes in green or red.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

If you are talking about the one in Suamico, I think if you could get him down to about 3500, you would be doing OK. Like said above, prices are high around here.
I'd sure give it a good going over though. I wouldn't let the carb thing bother you, just think of how many are out there, and still sold today.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

They both have strengths and weaknesses. The most important thing IMO is understanding how the system you have works. If you understand how it works it makes preventitive maintenance,and tuning in the case of the carb, more effective and troubleshooting alot eaiser.
Both can work great. I wouldn't shy away from a machine just because it was carb'd. Especially if you do not ride at altitude.
JMO

Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM
DCT
Banned

I would think that the EFI would also be an advantage if you live (or ride) in areas with extreme temperature ranges... especially if it gets really cold. Not just for starting, but for peak performance in those extremes.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need EFI but it's nice to have. Plus EBS with ADC, and 26" radial tires makes it worth the difference to me. .