Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

General Lubrication..

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Lubrication..

The Polaris Manual calls for "General Lubrication"-"Lube all fittings,pivots,cables,ect."
How many of you that service a machine yourself actually do this? Some do,alot do not.
If you don't,you should,and more often than the 50 hours the book calls for IMO.
Today I went through an lubed every pivot point on the machine,most of which are not pointed out in the manual as lube points.
In the process of course I lubed the shifter pivot where it mounts and also the joints on the shifter rod(which are now Heim joints instead of plastic bushings! Bravo Polaris!)and the linkage coming out of the tranny.
So what is my point right?
From time to time I see people complain about the shifter being stiff on Polaris'
Admittledly I recently noticed mine seemed to feel stiff on the 850,stiffer than when new,so I knew it wasn't a break in issue.
As I was lubing the linkage I could immediately feel the difference.
Now it shifts smooth as butter,better than the day I bought it.
Just a friendly reminder. Don't over look the small details when it comes to maintenance.
I lubed everything that pivots,moves, ect but just lubing the throttle cable and shift linkage made the the machine feel noticably different(better).

Most of us know this,but with today's hectic lifestyle we let it slip out minds..this is just a reminder [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Later

Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM
DCT
Banned

Absolutely! I actually enjoy doing that stuff. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

What do you like to use on the pivot points HIGHOCATNE? Silicone/Teflon spray?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Good info!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Absolutely! I actually enjoy doing that stuff. [IMG][/IMG]

What do you like to use on the pivot points HIGHOCATNE? Silicone/Teflon spray?</end quote></div>

Depends on what it is,if it is a low clearance joint I use a silicone/teflon spray,but if there is clearance to allow penetration I prefer a lithium grease spray.
Basically if I can get the lithium onto the surface that need lube I use that.
And I like the graphite lube for chains.
But honestly for most of the pivot points it doesn't too much matter what it is,as long as you put some kind of lube on it. The only noticable difference IMO is how long it lasts. These are low pressure,low speed friction areas. Anything is better than nothing.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

I know someone that decided he didn't "feel" like taking care of something as simple as taking care of his machine, and doing all the necessary maintenance things. Well...as time went by.....it caught up to him and he is now paying for it! Lets just say, the lubrication is there to keep things moving swiftly! no grease means metal to metal and the wear on the joints makes everything wear badly!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

Excellent Post!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good info.!

R'

Old 12-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Range Rover

Just an added piece of info on this.......I had a friend that was meticulous with maintaining his ATV and one day when we were just getting ready to ride he pulls out the grease gun and spray lubes and starts lubing his machine. I asked him why he was doing it before the ride and he replied with that he had no good answer. I myself, once I have finished washing my ATV and just before parking it I do all this lubrications. One ...when putting grease in the fittings it will push out the water trapped in the joint from the days ride and not just sit in the joint rotting the bushings and developing rust in the joint also. And 2 applying the spray will help it settle in the other non greaseable joint instead of washing off in the first water hole you run through. JMO

Old 12-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Absolutely! I actually enjoy doing that stuff. [IMG][/IMG]

What do you like to use on the pivot points HIGHOCATNE? Silicone/Teflon spray?</end quote></div>

Depends on what it is,if it is a low clearance joint I use a silicone/teflon spray,but if there is clearance to allow penetration I prefer a lithium grease spray.

Basically if I can get the lithium onto the surface that need lube I use that.

And I like the graphite lube for chains.

But honestly for most of the pivot points it doesn't too much matter what it is,as long as you put some kind of lube on it. The only noticable difference IMO is how long it lasts. These are low pressure,low speed friction areas. Anything is better than nothing.</end quote></div>

And don't forget to use some dielectric grease on the battery terminals etc....![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Zakazim-Good point,that is when I do it as well.
Rancher55-Another good point!