Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Guide for plowing technique?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide for plowing technique?

This will work with snow up to around 6" or so, If you are plowing a road or long driveway think of it as a 4 lane hwy., With your blade angled all the wat to the right, start in the inside lane, going out and then when you turn around do the other iside lane going back, turn around and do the outside lane, going out, turn around and do the outside lane going back.
48" blade = 16 feet done in 4 passes.
60" blade = 20 feet in 4 passes.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Trailblazer

hey you guys forgot one thing push the snow banks back the first time most of us don't have a loader to help lol

Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

The only thing I might add is to not over work the snow. Try to get it to where you want it the first pass. The best advice I've heard is from Farmboys. Plan what you need to do.
Every time you move the same pile it gets tougher to move especially if it starts warming up. If you end up with a pile of slush it's a pain in the neck.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

I would trying angling the plow and taking half a plow width if possible before layering - depending on the depth.

Yesterday I was cleaning up 20 inches of snow. I pushed all all the snow to the end of the driveway making a bank perpendiculiar to the driveway- next I pushed this bank off to the side. I tried splitting the bank but this left a compressed bank of snow that I got hung up on. Ended up leaving the blade on the ground and taking small cuts of the bank instead. Worked much better for me IMO.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just love snow plowing topics! LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

First off, if you don't have the upper rubber deflector, you are wasting your time, getting frustrated by all the snow flopping over the blade, and not maximizing the effiency of your plow blade. GO BUY ONE ASAP!

As for plowing techniques, they are endless! Try different ways to see what works for you. I am tempted to order a couple side deflectors for my blade beacuse much of my plowing is with the blade straight.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I use both a 72" front blade and a 60" back blade. I have no traction issues as the thing weighs about 1100 lbs.
I can back up to a garage door and pull every thing away while pushing what's in front. It saves a bunch of time.
I have side wings on the back blade
Deerkiller

Old 12-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

mt - can you provide a link to a rubber deflector?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

I just love snow plowing topics! LOL![img][/img]

First off, if you don't have the upper rubber deflector, you are wasting your time, getting frustrated by all the snow flopping over the blade, and not maximizing the effiency of your plow blade. GO BUY ONE ASAP!

As for plowing techniques, they are endless! Try different ways to see what works for you. I am tempted to order a couple side deflectors for my blade beacuse much of my plowing is with the blade straight.</end quote></div>

Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

mt - is this what you are talking about. How much extra height does it give you? Looks like 3-4 inches.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Moose Upper Flap! $19-$26-Cheap![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Glacier upper rubber!

WARN Snow Control Flap!!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

opps! We posted at the same time! LOL!

Yes, that's it!

4-5" increase in height on my Glacier. Basic blade is 16" then add 4" for the rubber, 20" total height- not bad for an ATV plow![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guide for plowing technique?