Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trail Blazer Recoil Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Blazer Recoil Problem

Hey guys My polaris just bogged down and shut off. I pulled the pull start and it broke. I took the whole assembly off. I think the tab on the sping inside came out of the little holding groove or whatever. How the heck do you get the plastic wheel the rope wraps around off to get to that spring? Like i said I took the whole thing off now exposing the starter. (not just the cover) Please help me get back up and running...

Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive tried Everything trying to get that plastic wheel off. Is it supposed to just screw off or what? Because it seems stuck. I let it sit in PB Blaster all day and still no luck.

Next Question.... Since I couldnt get the recoil starter to work. I decided to look into the Electric starter. Took that all apart too. Nothing looks broke. Its not seized or anything. I cleaned it all up and put it in there and it started right up.... Then I turned it off and tryed again... This time it just spins and doesnt ketch the flywheel. What part needs replacing??? Please help. I got this whole weekend to ride lol and cant get it started.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Best to try to hold metal piece at back of recoil assy in a vice WITHOUT breaking the small tip that the very small spring goes on! Then plastic reel can be turned counterclockwise to loosen after that. After reel is remove the inner parts can be removed,getting down to the inner main spring. NOT a very good design,Plus I get agitated at trying to repair these myself! As far as what you are describing on the electric starter,sounds like bendix (starter drive gear) not engaging flywheel and and may need replacement. Have had several customers end up buying complete recoil assembly after working on theirs! Hope this doesn't get you down,but this recoil is a lot harder to repair than on the one piece units on the 4-strokes. Really best to have a manual if determined to repair OR let a shop be responsible if they break any thing! Good luck

Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot lol for the advice. Ill try my luck tommorow once again. But that plastic reel is like on there for good i think lol. Ive been lookin into gettin a new starter bendix on ebay..

When I examined the bendix the spring looked really worn out. Could this be the cause of my non engagement. IThe Bendix moves freely in my hands. It spins out and locks one way. And free spins the other.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 98 TB had the same problem, i just put the plastic winding spool in a vise being very careful not to break it and turn the starter dog setup with vise grips and it came apart fairly easy.