Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!

I was installing a pig-tail for my battery tender on my Polaris 800 X2. Like a dummy, I was disconnecting the positive side of the battery first and my wrench hit the aluminum battery holder and a nice big spark occurred. Well......I finished the pig-tail install and now nothing works of course. I checked all the fuses (4) and they are fine. No power, no display, etc..... What did I blow? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lou

Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default HELP!

ouch!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default HELP!

You may have opened up the ground (wire). Wrenches can flow a lot of current. Check the ground connection to the frame.

Russ

Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default HELP!

Thanks to Phlogiston. I checked the negative side. Guess what? Between my yelling and cursing when it sparked I failed to connect the negative side! I put the negative Pig-tail on and I had tucked the negative cable up so I could reach the battery and forgot to connect it. Ok, so it's the bonehead mistake of the year. Hooked it up and everything works OK. And I was sober so I can't use that excuse......

Thanks again,

Lou

Old 12-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default HELP!

Are you sure about the fuses? My cuz blew one on his SP700 and we kept looking at
them and couldn't really tell it didn't look like they were blown BUT when we swapped them
out on at a time then it was. His wire cutters hit the handlebar gooseneck during a wiring
install. Stupid him didn't disconnect the batteries, it sparked and it sounded like a whipping
crack sound. BTW, the spare fuses they put on the RAD front cargo box lid did the trick.

Regards,

R'

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default HELP!

Happy to help.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP!

your lucky you didnt do any elec. damage to the speedo for sure as it seems they are pretty senetive for sure. oh , and we have all done the bone head moves as well lol.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default HELP!

I'm glad you didn't take an 1/8th inch off your flesh like I did.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default HELP!

Hahaha! I was wearing leather gloves cause I hate messing with electrical, even a battery. The arc left a nice divit in the wrench. So far everything works.

Thanks again,

Lou

Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default HELP!

Been there - done that.

After something like that happens you are so anxious to make sure you didn't screw something up that it's easy to overlook stuff. Sometimes it's best for me to take a step back and collect my thoughts before proceeding. If not - I've gone from bad to worse.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Lous X2

Thanks to Phlogiston. I checked the negative side. Guess what? Between my yelling and cursing when it sparked I failed to connect the negative side! I put the negative Pig-tail on and I had tucked the negative cable up so I could reach the battery and forgot to connect it. Ok, so it's the bonehead mistake of the year. Hooked it up and everything works OK. And I was sober so I can't use that excuse......

Thanks again,

Lou</end quote></div>