Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to forum & new to ATVing

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum & new to ATVing

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year. I am new to the ATV riding thanks to my son. He has been riding for about 6 years now. Ever since he met his wife. Her whole family ride, and they got hm into it. I used to ride dirt bikes way back in my miss spent youth in the 70's. Had a Kawasaki 350 Bighorn. If any of you rember back then, it was a 2-cycle with rotory valve that gave it torque like a 4-stroke. A real "tractor" of a 2-stroke.
My first experiance on an ATV was last July. I could have ridden my daughter-in law's 250 Can-Am, but not me. No, I had to ride my son's tricked out Kawasaki KFX700. A great little starter bike to learn on, right? Learn I did, on the second day when I hooked a berm on the left side of the trail which jerked the bars from my hand. Then when grabbing the bars, I hit the throttle and sent the Kawi straight to the sky! Thought I recovered OK until I hit the dirt berm on the other side of the trail, and rolled it over. The first thought was "OK, notheig hurts too bad and I can still move everything". Second thought was "How bad did I screw-up his plastics". And the third thing was " I gotta get me one of these!". Oh yea, then there was the thought of how am I going to get out from under this thing?
One friday afternoon in late August I stopped to see an old friend, and co-worker who now owns Chesterfield Valley Power Sports in Chesterfield Missouri. There it was on the showroom floor. A brand new leftover 2007 800 Sportsman Delux. Blue/Black with rear rack extensions, winch, alloy wheels, and dual exhaust. Best of all a great price! Now I have my own quad to roll over.
I have only had it out twice, once to Mark Twain National Forest near Black Missouri, and once to St.Joe State Park near Park Hills Mo. The more I ride it, the more I like it. It's power and handeling more than make up for my inexperiance. IfI hesitate a little when I should have kept up my momentum, I just give it the gas, and it pulls through.
Looking forward to a trip to Finger Lakes State Park next spring, and hopefully a trip to Hatfield & McCoy Trail in W.Verginia. Just gotta figure in some time for the ATV between Hunting, fishing, shooting, and running the rivers in my jetboat. Oh yea, there is work to. At least unti April when I turn 62 and hope to retire from my job as an electrician.
Bob

Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum.

Great Quad. I have the 07 800 Deluxe myself.

Enjoy it a lot...

Old 01-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.

Welcome to the greatest forum. I, myself have an 07 800 Stealth, and love it.Ride safe,have fun and most of all, wear a helmet all the time. I have been with friend's saying it's only a 1/4 mile to our cabin , and a freak thing happen's and he's on his lid. Be Safe.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Pro Rider

Excellent intro. Oldman800! Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year!
There are alot of really good folks that use this forum with alot of very good information!

rancher55

Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bob. Make yourself at home.

"A great little starter bike to learn on..." Famous last words. LMAO.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

welcome to the forums Bob
ride safe LOL

Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Bob,

Very good and interesting introduction; welcome to the forum, glad to see another "seasoned citizen" on here amongst all these "young pups". I will be 62 in a few months, but retired a little over a year ago from state service in southern Missouri, but began in KC. I rode with a guy who had a Bighorn and it was really powerful, heck the 175 beat most. I rode an Ossa and Yamaha in the dirt. I can't physically ride dirt bikes anymore, so I use ATV/RUV and enjoy them as I know you will yours. I had a Polaris and I know you will get a lot of good service out of it. I have some farms so I don't ride on public land though I may give it a shot some day; experience on public land when I rode dirt bikes was not good. Most of my training was at Park Hills at Mineral Area where we had our training academy, but it has now moved into its own facility. It is really pretty country up there.

You will find a lot of support and good people on this site.

06 Rhino 660
08 Grizzly 700 EPS
90 Mule
87 YFM Moto 4 225
75 Ossa Explorer

Old 01-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Range Rover

Careful on rolling the PoPo, it is a tad heavier then the Kawi. Welcome to this form of addiction.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

welcome to the forum..

John

Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

welcome to the forum,
dont try to keep up with the young boys let them do the crazy stuff and you console the grieving widows
se ya from fl

Quick Reply: New to forum & new to ATVing