Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman vs truck bed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009 | 12:40 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default sportsman vs truck bed

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I saw that video on youtube of the older gentlman kicking the ramp off and the machine flipping on top of him.</end quote></div>

I saw that too! That was a bad one.

Old 01-06-2009 | 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I lost a Honda Foreman off of a set of ramps once, scared the crap outta me! Nothing but a trailer for me now. I have a 12' flatbed that will haul 2 machines,one cross-ways up front and one loaded straight from the rear. I would hardly consider it big or inconvenient but then I'm use to pulling equipment trailers and such so 12' seems kinda small. Heck I'd be willing to trade for a good 16 footer if anyone is interested.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Also keep in mind that a good flatbed can be used for much more than just hauling a quad. Be safe!

Old 01-07-2009 | 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hey...thanks for providing the link! OUCH...poor Charlie...maybe he forgot to strap the ramps down...but definitely a hard lesson learned. Hope he was ok.

It's all about the details when working with ramps.

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2009 | 03:06 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hddoperator

I lost a Honda Foreman off of a set of ramps once, scared the crap outta me! Nothing but a trailer for me now. I have a 12' flatbed that will haul 2 machines,one cross-ways up front and one loaded straight from the rear. I would hardly consider it big or inconvenient but then I'm use to pulling equipment trailers and such so 12' seems kinda small. Heck I'd be willing to trade for a good 16 footer if anyone is interested.[img][/img] Also keep in mind that a good flatbed can be used for much more than just hauling a quad. Be safe!</end quote></div>

I hauled a yard of compost over to my mom's house on mine. I laid a tarp down and filled it like a big diaper tied up with rope. When I shoveled it I didn't have to lift it half as far as I would putting it in a truck. I've had a fiberglass cap on the truck since I got the trailer anyway, and I'm going to trade it for a Tahoe. If I need to haul something tall like a fridge, without laying it down, I can put it on the trailer which is about the same size as the truck bed.

Old 01-07-2009 | 06:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

You Tundra boys watch your tailgates if your not taking them off to load your ATV! I spoke to a Toyota Rep and the tailgate only has a 350lb weight limit. I wouldn't even have to many buddies sitting on it.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com...te-failures-i-am-club/

Old 01-07-2009 | 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HEMIsphere

You Tundra boys watch your tailgates if your not taking them off to load your ATV! I spoke to a Toyota Rep and the tailgate only has a 350lb weight limit. I wouldn't even have to many buddies sitting on it.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com...te-failures-i-am-club/</end quote></div>

Wow! I wonder if the cables are the problem?

This subject came up in a Dodge truck forum that I visit and Dodge hasn't set a weight limit (not sure if thats good or bad). I've had me (200 lb) and two other friends (200+ each) sitting on mine with no problems....maybe I shouldn't be doing that!
The Tundra appears to be built as well as any other truck out there...I wonder what gives?

Old 01-07-2009 | 04:04 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Well I have the 2004 Tundra and I am NOT denying this but it is the first I have heard of it. I have loaded and unloaded my Sportsmans many times and the rear weight sits on the tailgate. I tried clicking on those photo links in that TUNDRA FORUM and all of them images have been moved. I need to see what the tailgate
seperation looks like! Upon all of this NO ONE mentions what years have the problem. I don't believe the newer models have the same as the old. In looking at the 2007 the bed is deeper and the tailgate is different.

Like HDDOPERATOR said, is it the cables? Could it be fixed with a better grade of side cables or something else? Mine is still under warrenty so if there is a problem its unnoticed by me, LOL. But I would hate to have an ATV loading/unloading accident, is NOW my concern.

Regards,

R'

Old 01-07-2009 | 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I think it is later models, 05-07,hadn't seen anyone complain about on '04..
Apparently they were splitting at the seams that run up and down on each side close to where the latches are located I think.. from what I have saw,been awhile since I saw the pics though..this was most common with people loading ATVs...apparenlty it isn't the cables it is the gate itself..something about it being partially composite I think..

Old 01-07-2009 | 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Okay cool that explains it a little. Cuz mine is made out of all steel. One problem I do have is my
Tail gate handle and lock gets stuck occassionally but I don't think that is from any loading or unloading.

Cool

R'

Old 01-08-2009 | 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

Well I have the 2004 Tundra and I am NOT denying this but it is the first I have heard of it. I have loaded and unloaded my Sportsmans many times and the rear weight sits on the tailgate. I tried clicking on those photo links in that TUNDRA FORUM and all of them images have been moved. I need to see what the tailgate

seperation looks like! Upon all of this NO ONE mentions what years have the problem. I don't believe the newer models have the same as the old. In looking at the 2007 the bed is deeper and the tailgate is different.

Like HDDOPERATOR said, is it the cables? Could it be fixed with a better grade of side cables or something else? Mine is still under warrenty so if there is a problem its unnoticed by me, LOL. But I would hate to have an ATV loading/unloading accident, is NOW my concern.

Regards,

R'</end quote></div>

It is actually on the all new '07 and '08 Tundra's. The tailgate is made out of thin stamped steel...and that is causing the tailgate to separate. Apparently Toyota is not covering it under warranty...and is calling it owner abuse.

biz

Quick Reply: sportsman vs truck bed