Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Shocks not adjustable

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Shocks not adjustable

I just got around to figureing why my 500 sportsman sits higher than my 800 sportsman. The 800 shocks were set to their softest level. I adjusted the rear, jacked up the front and there is no adjustment. Until last year I was a dedicated yamaha owner. Once riding the 500 sportsman I was impressed yet in all the years of polaris there has been no front shock adjustment ? Would it be better to go for the HD Springs over the spacers? I have a 2500 lb. winch along with a brushguard/ bumper for both bikes, there is a noticible sag. Both bikes have around 15 hours as of now

Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

hey i have a 08 800 and i had the same problem.i didnt buy springs i bought the tm2 pregressor spring adjusters from my dealer and fixed the sag no problem and very easy to install.on the first setting it is like stock i have them set on the 2nd setting and it is great and i think i got another inch of ground clearance to will get more an the third setting

Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey Taylormane, How much were the tm2 spring adjuster's ?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

EPI makes progressive rate springs that have a couple of advantages over the OEM. First, they are better quality steel so they won't fatigue and sag as quickly as the stock. All manufactures have their issues and this was one for Polaris. The other advantage of the EPI springs is that they are slightly stiffer than stock but in a good way. Since they are a progressive rate spring you still maintain the nice ride but reduce some of the body roll and won't bottom out as easily due to the heavier rating. Most HD springs are not a progressive rate spring so while they correct the sag / \, they tend to produce a much stiffer ride than stock.

You can install the pregressors on a collapsed spring but you still have a collapsed spring. Cranking up the pregressor will pre-load the spring which in effect turns it into a single rate spring with reduced travel. However, it will remove the sag. The EPI springs and the TM2 pregressors are about the same money and require the same work to install. I did both when I did mine. I leave the pregressors at stock setting except for when I am plowing or have a heavy load on the front. The EPI springs are great and their service is outstanding. The springs will remove all of the sag and return your original ground clearance without sacrificing the nice Polaris ride. Unless you are plowing or regularly carry heavy loads on your front racks, all you would need would be the springs.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jimschevey

hey Taylormane, How much were the tm2 spring adjuster's ?</end quote></div>

http://www.t-m-2.com/tm2/Pregressor/Pregressor.html

Old 01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

I have had issues with a 60: plow on mine so i went to polaris and bought their heavy rate front springs. Havent gotten them in yet but will let ya know how it is when i do.