Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 Overheating

Recently my 2000 500 has been overheating after approx 15 minutes - faster if I am plowing with it.

Hot engine light comes on.

It is blowing out the fill cap hole.

After letting it cool, if I refill it, it pulls it through the hose and empties the reservoir, so I fill it until it stops doing that.

Radiator and fan are clean.

Got tired of it overheating, so I drained the radiator and the fluid looked good.

Just to see if I can tell if the engine seemed to have a block in it, I ran the engine for a minute or so and steam started coming out the drain hole of the radiator, so it seems like it is at least pushing to the radiator, but hard to tell if it is fully cycling.

To be honest, I didn't think to check so I am not sure or not if the fan is kicking
on. If it is not, how do I jump it to see if it is a fan issue or something else?

Would the fan not running simply make it overheat or do you think it could be multiple issues?

Also, lets say the fan does work when jumped.
What should I look at or replace?

And finally, since I drained the radiator, should I pull the top hose on the radiator and fill both the hose and radiator completely full?

Any help would be great!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I am having a similar problem with my 2003 600. The fan does NOT come on and I overheated yesterday. I have been recommended to check the sensor but I don't know how to "jump" or bypass the sensor. Hopefully someone will respond to explain how to do that before I just start replacing parts.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on the newer bikes if you just unhook the wires off the sensor it should kick the fan on. if not use a 12 volt source and run power to the fan to see if its working. make sure to power the correct wire and ground the other. yes the fan not running even in cold weather will make the bike over heat. make sure you fill the antifreeze and run the cap loose for a while so the air can excape or you'll have big time overheat issues w/ air pockets.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will give it a try. Really frustrating to just all of a sudden look down and see your machine overheating. I've heard of people using different sensors then the OEM to save some $. Anybody have any experience with that? Does the machine have to be hot or once I disconnect the sensor and turn the key on the fan should come on if only the sensor is bad??

Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure if on your 03' will do the same as the newer(say 06') but if you turnthe key on and just unhook the sensor(cold engine is fine i beleave) ir should kick the fan on. did you try to w/ the key off, to rotate the fan to make sure it was free and spun ok. i had a small twig once stop my fan ffrom tuning and it over heated. just removed and fan worked fine.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I know nothing is stuck in the fan, it spins freely. I am hoping it is just the sensor.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: notbobj1

Recently my 2000 500 has been overheating after approx 15 minutes - faster if I am plowing with it.

Hot engine light comes on.

It is blowing out the fill cap hole.

After letting it cool, if I refill it, it pulls it through the hose and empties the reservoir, so I fill it until it stops doing that.

Radiator and fan are clean.

Got tired of it overheating, so I drained the radiator and the fluid looked good.

Just to see if I can tell if the engine seemed to have a block in it, I ran the engine for a minute or so and steam started coming out the drain hole of the radiator, so it seems like it is at least pushing to the radiator, but hard to tell if it is fully cycling.

To be honest, I didn't think to check so I am not sure or not if the fan is kicking

on. If it is not, how do I jump it to see if it is a fan issue or something else?

Would the fan not running simply make it overheat or do you think it could be multiple issues?

Also, lets say the fan does work when jumped.

What should I look at or replace?

And finally, since I drained the radiator, should I pull the top hose on the radiator and fill both the hose and radiator completely full?

Any help would be great!</end quote></div>

The sensor is located on the bottom right of the radiator. The wiring connector to it runs up the right hand side and is accessible at the top right. Unplug the connector and put a jumper wire or the points of a needle nose pliers in there and the fan should come on. Test the harness side, not the switch. Check the switch wiring right at the switch itself. they were prone to breaking right at the switch.

You stated the coolant was coming out of the filler cap. Thats because the filler cap got too hot and is now oblonged and won't allow the cap to seal. Replace the filler cap and refill the system with coolant. . I bet all your problems will go away(probably, Ive seen those oblonged filler caps cause your issue) There could be more, we'll have to see.

Stendori- The plug your talking about is only on the models with the ECM's and this one is too old for that. You are correct however. The machine doesn't even need to be running to check it on ecm models.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Big600twin

I am having a similar problem with my 2003 600. The fan does NOT come on and I overheated yesterday. I have been recommended to check the sensor but I don't know how to "jump" or bypass the sensor. Hopefully someone will respond to explain how to do that before I just start replacing parts.</end quote></div>

Check the same thing i posted for notbobj1. I looked at the parts diagram for your model and it appeared the sensor was not on the bottom right like the 500 is. I can't remember for sure where it's at. I thought yours was in the same location.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, but I don't want to fry anything....

Looking at the radiator from the front of the atv, top right side I see a plug.
that plug has a red wire and a black wire, that appear to plug into a black box that has 4 wires - yellow, yellow/red, black, red.
Is that the sensor you are talking about and do I just put a wire from the black to red in that plug, or are you talking on the left side when facing the atv?
There appears to be a similar plug there as well...

Thanks again!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: notbobj1

Sorry, but I don't want to fry anything....

Looking at the radiator from the front of the atv, top right side I see a plug.

that plug has a red wire and a black wire, that appear to plug into a black box that has 4 wires - yellow, yellow/red, black, red.

Is that the sensor you are talking about and do I just put a wire from the black to red in that plug, or are you talking on the left side when facing the atv?

There appears to be a similar plug there as well...

Thanks again!</end quote></div>

NO, not that one. Thats your voltage regulator. DON"T jump those.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 Overheating