Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

silinoid problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silinoid problem

ok.. so i have a 94 400L and come to find out my silinoid was bad.. so the guy up at auto zone said that ford made a universal one that people use all the time... so i picked it up and while im switchin im not quite sure how to hook it up to the new one... there are 4 prongs on this one.. and only the 2 on the old one...

2 red wires one looks zero gauge and the other is smaller are on the post that goes to the batt..

on the other side is the zero gauge wire that goes to the starter.,.

then there was a small one that went into the old siliniod.. i dont know where too put it on the new one....

Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default silinoid problem

depending on your solnoide, there should only be 2 big cable(wires) and 1 small wire to give the power to open the solnoide up. is there more then 3 wires on your solnoide on the bike?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default silinoid problem

Connect the small start wire to the terminal marked "S" for start...the "I" terminal(Ignition) doesn't apply when using a 4 post to replace a 3 post..
On a 3 post set up the small wire just closes the solenoid while the key is in the crank position to turn over the starter..

Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default silinoid problem

yea there are 4 wires technically... there was a smaller one that was connected with big wire that went to the battery

Old 01-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default silinoid problem

just movin to the top

Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default silinoid problem

sounds like you have an extra wire being powered by the battery cable and does not go to the small post that he starter wire goes to. this small wire is feed from the starter button. once power goes to the small wire which should be hooked to, as stated, to the "S" termial which will power the solnoide to the starter.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default silinoid problem

so are you telling me that the wire that was running with the zero gauge wire to the batt.. needs to goto the "S" post? if so... what am i supose to do with the other small wire that was running into the siliniod on the old one...?

thanks for the help

Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default silinoid problem

not sure what you mean by "zero gauge wire"?? here is a pic of a solenoide for refence. notice of this solenoide that there is only 3 post. 2 large studs in which the battery and starter cables hook too. the small 1 wire should go to the hot side of the starter button. use a tester to see if you have power to the wire on your old set up to see if it has power when you push the starter button.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default silinoid problem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HARLEY_OWNER

so are you telling me that the wire that was running with the zero gauge wire to the batt.. needs to goto the "S" post? if so... what am i supose to do with the other small wire that was running into the siliniod on the old one...?

thanks for the help</end quote></div>

Does the small wire connected to the zero gauge wire connected on the battery side of the solenoid or the starter side? Sounds like it could be the battery power wire that feeds the bikes harness,in which case it would go on the battery side of the soleniod,just as it did on the stock solenoid..
You do have another small wire that goes to a smaller terminal right? That should be for the engergizing the solenoid the power the starter,again that goes the the "S" terminat..
If so then hook it up just like it was hooked up on the stock solenoid..just don't use the "I" teminal...

Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default silinoid problem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HARLEY_OWNER

ok.. so i have a 94 400L and come to find out my silinoid was bad.. so the guy up at auto zone said that ford made a universal one that people use all the time... so i picked it up and while im switchin im not quite sure how to hook it up to the new one... there are 4 prongs on this one.. and only the 2 on the old one...

2 red wires one looks zero gauge and the other is smaller are on the post that goes to the batt..

on the other side is the zero gauge wire that goes to the starter.,.

then there was a small one that went into the old siliniod.. i dont know where too put it on the new one....</end quote></div>

Lets try this again...you said that the old solenoid only had 2 posts? Where did the 3rd wire connect? In any case that will be the "S" wire,that engergizes the solenoid while cranking. Connect the large battery cable and the small power wire up to the battery side,just like on the old one. Connect the large starter power cable to the large starter terminal on the new solenoid. Connect the small wire that is by itself goes to the small "S" terminal on the new solenoid..
Make sure you disconnect the battery cable from the battery,if you haven't already, before you start wiring everytyhing up..

Quick Reply: silinoid problem