Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

very hard to shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009 | 10:08 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default very hard to shift

I am having trouble shifting...it doesnt want to engage from park to hi or low. it shifts after awhile. im afraid im gonna snap the shifter off. anybody have any solutions to this problem? PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks, Dan

Old 01-15-2009 | 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Are you in a cold climate? I'm at about 6 F this morning in NY State. Do you have ice built up? Maybe the transmission is just cold.
My Sportsman was very difficult to shift too. I took the shift linkage apart, cleaned up the Hyme joints and lubed everything with lithium grease and put it back together.
It helped in my case. I didn't have to adjust any thing. Took about a half hour.
The linkage is exposed so I think I'll need to do it after the plowing season again.
Pretty cheesy linkage with plastic on steel connections.
Not sure if your machine has the same setup as mine.
Good luck.
Deerkiller

Old 01-15-2009 | 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

1. Do you happen to ride in deep water or had the machine in any deep water recently......If so sometimes water gets in to the black plastic box where the shifter linkage goes to the transmission and freezes up.....I'm not sure where you live but if the temps are cold enough this water freezes in there making it a pita to shift...

2. If you're having problems getting into P or H then you might wanna check near the bottom of the black box towards the transmission there's a small black boot which has a spring connected to it which is connected the the reae brake when you depress it...I'm taking it that you already know the brake needs to be depressed to get into H or P....I think they've since changed that for the newer ones but for '05 that's the way it is.......Hope that helped......Let us know....

John

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:18 AM
|
Trailblazer

I live in upstate ny too...yup definatly cold here. i will do what you did and let you no. im 50 miles north of albany...i live near glens falls. thanks

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:23 AM
|
Trailblazer

i havent had it in any water but im gonna pull it into a buddies garage and let it thaw out(its 1 degree out now) and lube everything. its due for a good lube job anyway....thanks again ill keep ya posted..Dan

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yea it's not much warmer here.....9 degrees here....I'm about 60 miles north of NYC.

John

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:34 AM
|
Trailblazer

what type of gear oil should i use when changing? any suggestions?

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hurly

what type of gear oil should i use when changing? any suggestions?</end quote></div>

For the rear dif?

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:40 AM
|
Trailblazer

yes...i have never changed any oils except for a regular oil change. i want to change all oils and give her a tune-up.

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

I just use a 80W 90 gear oil for the rear....Engine oil I use Mobil 1 0W 40 synthetic...I'd highly suggest that you use the Polaris Demand Drive Fluid for the front gearcase....The awd system is very particular.

John

Quick Reply: very hard to shift