Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pic of belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic of belt

was wondering what years polaris did the limited lifetime belt warranty. I have an 04.5 sp500 and the belt seems shrunk and it is cracked on the top. If polaris does have the warranty do you think it is worth trying to have them cover it for free or just buy a new one? The top width is 1.125" and should be 1.188". It is at or beyond the wear limit as well. I took the belt off, but do the numbers on the belt face you so you can read them or the other way around? here is a pic.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pic of belt

Not sure on the warranty..I doubt any stealership will warranty a belt from that long ago......Heck sombitch had trouble getting his replaced and his is an '09.....The writing and numbers should be facing you if your standing next to the machine...

John

Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Default Pic of belt

Thanks JCDEY025, I was just checking because they have the lifetime limited warranty I believe for this year machine. Guess I found this on the Polaris website:

Limited Lifetime Belt Warranty
2001 to current year Polaris ATVs, Rangers, Polaris Professional Series, and Sportsman 6X6s carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty on drive belts. To qualify for this belt warranty policy, the owner must follow the recommended maintenance schedule with their Authorized Polaris Dealer. The belt itself must be deemed defective using the guidelines given to the Polaris dealer by the manufacturer of the belt and Polaris Industries. This warranty will not cover belt replacement due to operator error, normal wear, or belts that fail due to lack of proper clutch maintenance.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pic of belt

You'd be better off just buying a new belt IMO..there is about 9 different ways they can deny the warranty in your situation...did you inspect and adjust the belt every 50hrs/6mos,you could lie about that one, BUT Did you HAVE AN AUTORIZED POLARIS DEALER inspect and clean the clutches ever 100hrs or 12mos as required by the Owner's Manual?..if not they got you..
Also they have a chart that shows different belt problems and there causes..99% of the time the cause falls outside a belt defect..

I see what looks like some wear or damage on the inner edge of the belt right there where the crack is..what does the inside look like there? Do you or have you lt the machine set stationary while the engine was running and most importantly with the transmission in gear,for a prolonged period of time? This will overheat the belt in one small area as the belt is stitting still while the drive clutch is spinning,this can also wear the drive clutch...

Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Default Pic of belt

Thanks for the reply Highoctane, The inner part of the belt is almost like a dry rot. What you see in the pic is what is in most spots on the belt (the inner edge). Maybe not worth bringing it in to the stealer then. they have never done any of the work on the machine. Yes, the machine does sit and idle alot in the winter, but I always leave it in neutral. when I took the cover off and the machine is in neutral the secondary clutch spins slowly, but not enough to grind gears on a shift. seems as though the belt is too tight. Also it sqweeks on the primary clutch while idling. 1600 miles, 280hrs. I understand what you are trying to say on them gettting out of the warranty!!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Pic of belt

02magnum500

I bought a spare belt for my 700 a few years ago, never used it, sitting dusty on the shelf. Give me your belt # and I will compare it when I go home tonight. If it fits, I'll save u a lot over paying for a new one from the dealer! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Again, mine is brand new, never used.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Default Pic of belt

Part # 3211095, I did find a polaris one on ebay for $42.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pic of belt

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 02magnum500

Thanks for the reply Highoctane, The inner part of the belt is almost like a dry rot. What you see in the pic is what is in most spots on the belt (the inner edge). Maybe not worth bringing it in to the stealer then. they have never done any of the work on the machine. Yes, the machine does sit and idle alot in the winter, but I always leave it in neutral. when I took the cover off and the machine is in neutral the secondary clutch spins slowly, but not enough to grind gears on a shift. seems as though the belt is too tight. Also it sqweeks on the primary clutch while idling. 1600 miles, 280hrs. I understand what you are trying to say on them gettting out of the warranty!!</end quote></div>

In neutral the driven clutch and the belt should move..
In gear,with the machine stopped, the drive clutch will spin but the belt and driven clutch will be stationary..this is one way localized heat build up can occur and damage the belt....this damage usually causes a slight "hourglass" shape on the belt and can cause it to be jerky feeling and also can casue it to sqeak rythmically on occasion..among other things..hard to tell from that pic if that is the case with that belt..
Just make sure you look the clutches over good for wear and damage and check the clutch alignment ect..that will ensure you get the most life out of the belt. If you don't have a service manual you probably should get one.

Good luck..

Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.
Default Pic of belt

Thanks, Highoctane

The belt is fairly uniform all the way around checking with a dial caliper. I dont have an alignment tool for it or is there a different way?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Pic of belt

I will check tonight for you.

Quick Reply: Pic of belt