Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850 don't start at -15 F

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM
BPM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 don't start at -15 F

Has any one had a hard time starting your Xp in cold wheather.
Mine don't like to start when its below -15 F

Old 01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Mabey the battery volts are below the min to start and run EFI's in that cold of temps and thats one reason why you buy an efi, for cold weather. Thats not good.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum!
I Haven't heard of it being a problem...does it just turn over but doesn't fire? What exaclty does doesn't like to start mean? Turns over a long time before it starts? Doesn't start at all? Battery volts is a possibility...if they drop too low when you engage the starter it might not fire..if so does it stay out side,do you keep a battery tender or similar device on it? Have you used the machine alot at low speeds with accessories on..such hand warmers,lights,winch ect..if so you might be discharging the battery..the XP charges well at idle and low RPM but in extreme cold coupled with Extended low RPM and accessory use it may discharge...
Any codes? Could be as simple as a TPS adjustment..
Have you tried giving it a little throttle when starting? Not that you should have to,but it might help us troubleshoot.....
Also the 850 has been reported to foul plugs easily if you start it but don't let it warm up fully before shutting it back down...the cold enrichment seems to be a little too rich...especially if you blip the throttle while it is cold..if you have done this you may have partially fouled the plugs and they might not fire under extreme cold...

Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

We had a cold snap here for a couple of weeks and it got to -10 so I tried to start my 850 and it fired up right away and ran perfectly. My machine sits outside under a deck. Now since I had my 600 Grizzly in to be tuned it doesn't start worth a crap. Since I owned it I've always put on the choke and in two revolutions it's fired up. When I picked it up from the Yamaha dealer the mechanic said that it should now start without the choke. Why don't they just leave some things alone.
Take care,
Dave

Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
BPM
Range Rover

It wouldn't even fire. You should smell gas after cranking on it for awhile.
I tried holding throttle open and still nothing.
What happen was it drove it out to the Fish house and couple hours later went to leave and it wouldn't start. Its about 5 mile drive so the battery should be charged. I was about to spend the night and thought i'd give it one more try.
then it started. I didn't see any codes.
Maybe i'll pick some plugs up and give that a shot first.
Never had a problem with my SP 700 carb.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Ok..that rules out a throttle cable adjustment issue...holding the throttle open on an EFI won't help it start 90% of the time..but it does rule out an ETC problem...

So it has only done it that one time?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO...I would try checking the battery voltage first (XP off) with a multimeter. At full charge the battery should read 12.7 volts or more. Then if that checks out, I would check the battery voltage with the XP running at idle. That should read in the 13.98 -- 14.20 volts. Then check it again at about 1500rpm.

Good luck...

biz

Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 AM
BPM
Range Rover

Its happen twice i tried to start it the day after, didn't start then either.
It seems to run rough on start up even when it warm out. Like the idle is to low.
But after it runs for a bit it clears right up. Is there a way to ajust the ilde on the EFI's for start up?
I'll check the voltage next chance i get and compair it to what biz wrote.
Thanks for the input guys

Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Mine starts and runs fine also in very cold temps,BPM go and get ya a set of plugs from the dealer and throw them in and ride that sucker...

Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM
BPM
Range Rover

I think thats my first step. We have the snowmoblie drags this week end on Cannon lake. I'll take her out there mess around. The ditch's are to full of snow to drive in. And we have no trials around here. Besides the tires suck.
Need differnt tires (maybe this spring)

Quick Reply: 850 don't start at -15 F