Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cleaning the exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the exhaust system

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the exhaust system short of taking it off the ATV? I have a suspicion that the exhaust system on my 95 Sportsman is a little dirty and clogged. It smokes a bit from the front connection (where the springs are), especially when I first start it up, and I can feel a think coat of "tar" on the inside of the end of the tailpipe.

I know that there are two plugs that can be removed to clean out some of the carbon deposits or whatever, and I plan to do that, but is there anything else anyone can suggest to get the exhaust system as clean as possible without having to take it off?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Pro Rider

in the front connection, there should be a donut gasket I would think

Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 700 sportsman

in the front connection, there should be a donut gasket I would think</end quote></div>

I thought so too, but apparently not. The parts diagram does not show any gasket... just springs to hold the pipe in place. I guess the idea is that if things get clogged or whatever, exhaust is "supposed" to leak out through the connection rather than kill the motor.... it is a 2 cycle, which I am not all that familiar with, but I understand 2 cycles in concept...so I'm thinking that a partially blocked exhaust would be somewhat more problematic with them than with a 4 cycle.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

i had a 400 sport come through not long ago that the exhuast was pretty well clogged. at idle it would smoke out of the tailpipe like usual. when the motor was revved the smoked stopped coming out of the end and was coming through the cleanout port at the front of the silencer. tried to pour chemb12 through the silencer to get the carbon to break up. it never did go through. flip it the other way and the chemb12 just came running out. all it did was hamper the power of the motor. didnt do any damage.
anyways the only real way to clean it is to repack the silencer. you could try taking out the cleanout plugs and reving the motor while LIGHTLY tapping on the silencer to see if anything is blown out. but i wouldnt count on it