Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV Cab Enclosures

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV Cab Enclosures

I was leafing through the Sportsmans Guide this evening and came across the atv cab enclosure. I was thinking this would be awesome for this cold winter riding and also for a blind while hunting. I was thinking I could put a small propane heater inside and be able to hunt out of it or check my trap line. Do any of you guys have one and how well do you like them? What brand, make and model do you have? How well do they hold up while riding, and how much did it cost? Do you use it often and is it easy to put on and off? Could you post some pics and tell me where you bought yours? And any other pros and cons with this product. Thanks

Old 01-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I love about this forum... great, relevant questions. Yeah, I have those same questions... and how about for plowing? Looks like a good idea... anybody done it? Is it as useful as it looks, or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your exhaust gets in there, doesn't that make it into a rolling gas chamber? Could you execute prisoners with a cab enclosure?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Pro Rider

It seems to me that the plastic windows would fog up easily.
Not sure I like the idea of having one of those!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

Hey big R, dont you have an enclosure for yours? I'm waiting for you to chime in about the pros and cons. The enclosure doesnt go down over the back so I don't think you would get any exhaust inside and I'm not so sure about the windows fogging up. I may have to break into the ol checkbood and find out for myself. I'll let you know if I do...

heres the one that fits my budget:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=500857

Old 01-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Bump, bumpity bump bump, bump bump!!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rowe

Hey big R, dont you have an enclosure for yours? I'm waiting for you to chime in about the pros and cons. The enclosure doesnt go down over the back so I don't think you would get any exhaust inside and I'm not so sure about the windows fogging up. I may have to break into the ol checkbood and find out for myself. I'll let you know if I do...

heres the one that fits my budget:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=500857</end quote></div>
I had thought about getting one of these enclosures for My sport 400.
A pond I do a lot of fishing on has HIGH wind conditions.
I would think that in a 30 or 40 MPH cross wind that an enclosure would be quite a hazard.
Has anyone had any riding experience with these in a cross wind???
If it is a frosty morning if the windshield is frosted and what does it take to get the frost cleaned off?
Thanks-MrMarty51

Old 01-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

You would have to be real careful using a propane heater inside one. You don't want to go for the big sleep.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Propane also gives off a lot of moisture which could cause fogging or dripping inside.
Take care
Dave

Old 01-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Thanks ROWE for the "shout out". Yea I do have one. I have mixed feelings about this product. Okay first off, I was disappointed like you when contemplating on the purchase that NOT many people on this forum had commented on them, like a review. I suspect that about 2yrs ago no one had bought them yet. Now you may find more reviews.

Second, my first experience using my Rain Rider ATV CAMO enclosure for hunting was a positive one. I had decided to hunt this corn/soybean field (can't remember which year had the corn what one had the soybean, its alternated back and forth from the farmer) and I parked my ATV back into the brush hidden by the hedgerow, next to my cousins field stand (can't get in there too small, and thats the way he likes it, LOL). I had downpoured something fierce and it was great to have this. I stayed dry b/c I had worn rain gear for my pants and over my gortex boots so it worked pretty well. I CAN'T comment on SNOW, since I never had the chance to use it for that.

YES YES the zip up plastic windows get foggy, so I had to keep air flowing with zippering it down differnent sides and such.

My rain rider is just like an oval egg DOOM shaped tent that is fasten from the front brushguard (on top) to the rear rack. It never goes over the EXHAUST. As for FUMES. I never noticed any! But all sides (front, back, left, right) all zip all down, plenty of ventilation and to be honest I was at rest without my machine running b/c it was used hunting. Maybe being used for plowing they may be something to consider, I don't know?

YOU CAN NOT DRIVE REALLY WITH THIS PRODUCT (I can't comment on other products). The wind just keeps shifting it and with plastic windows up you can't see well driving, so I had to zip the front window down when I left the trailer and drove across the field to my hunting spot. The front and back are zip tied with a main plastic pvc type pole that supports the tent tube-curved plastic stick-cord-inside wands in front and back and the doomed curved wands act like slide rails. Make sense? hard to describe. (DennisKirk.com is where I went thru for the order, you can demo it with pics etc.)

BIGGEST complaint is that it did not work for mosquitos, I got eaten alive. Your body is covered except your legs and gaps in-between and mosquitos coming up through the seat/gas tank gaps etc.

However, now they make the same type (different vendor) with side flaps over the leg/foot wells and I believe you can pretty much weather proof the setup. I emailed the MFG. on my product to see if they make that as an accessory and my email is still unanswered.

Final analysis: I think Rain rider makes a great product, it is really well made, Durable, no leaks, you can tell its not cheap material proned to dry rotting, it has inside pockets to hold all kinds of gear, accessible flaps, zip down windows etc. It all folds up and folds into a duffle bag like carrying case. If you do ground hunting of any kind using a blind and want a step up, this is for you. One big advantage is this product can be rolled down like a convertable for driving faster,you have the curved tent type plastic cord-inside poles that shapes it. YOU can NOT have it on your QUAD while hauling/trailering it for obvious reasons, much like a tarp and cover. Remember its really a mini-tent design. So can you strap it tight in the back with the doom structure attached and not be affected by the wind? I don't know for over $250 I didn't want to risk it.

Hope this helps!

R'

Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

I use one whenever I plow. The company we work for mandates it along with orange triangle and flashing light. Not to bad during the day but at night its hard to see unless window is really clean, as far as wind protection it works well. All the fumes sorta escape out the back of machine so really not a problem for me I also have x2 with back dump bed. The best advice I could give you is not to tow atv with the plastic cover on as wind will tear the side zipperd doors off. Also if you travel with just the steel cage on you may want to duct tape the joints as they seem to pull apart even though they lock in place. My next one will be built out of plywood and 2x4s with plexiglass windows and maybe even some sort of doors along with a spot to put mini propane bottle heater. After a few hrs it gets pretty nippy and heat would be nice