Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Never noticed brake difference between 850 and 550

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never noticed brake difference between 850 and 550

Shame on me but I never noticed the 550 XP does not have a left rear disk break. I was wiping it down after a brief ride and I noticed it was not there. Not sure how they set the break bias on quads but you would think it would pull right on breaking with no left rear. Just strikes me odd that there is not one. I thought the 850 and 550 were the same except for engine and weight. I'll need to look into what else is different.

brian

Old 01-28-2009, 03:53 PM
DCT
Banned

Interesting? Most of the braking is probably done in the front, but as you said... you'd think it would pull under certain braking. Obviously, you've driven them both and it doesn't seem to be a problem... correct?

How do you like the twins so far?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

If you look at the 500 and 800, they both have only one rear caliper. The 550 also only has one. Only the XP 850 has 4 wheel disk.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Interesting? Most of the braking is probably done in the front, but as you said... you'd think it would pull under certain braking. Obviously, you've driven them both and it doesn't seem to be a problem... correct?

How do you like the twins so far?</end quote></div>

The brakes seem fine on the 550 and due to position in the garage I have ridden it more than the 850.

Being an ATV newbie I can't compare to other makes or models but from the sense of good engineering and design, quality of materials, assembly, fit, appearance, performance and the pure pleasure factor I can say they are awesome! The twins are not broken in yet plus my speed days are long gone but I got on the 850 a bit yesterday and she sure can haul the wood!! Very very impressive especially for a big machine ....

Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Roofer

If you look at the 500 and 800, they both have only one rear caliper. The 550 also only has one. Only the XP 850 has 4 wheel disk.</end quote></div>

That's interesting Roofer ...... sounds like the single caliper on the 550 is more than adequate as it is used on the 800.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ruggo

Being an ATV newbie I can't compare to other makes or models but from the sense of good engineering and design, quality of materials, assembly, fit, appearance, performance and the pure pleasure factor I can say they are awesome! The twins are not broken in yet plus my speed days are long gone but I got on the 850 a bit yesterday and she sure can haul the wood!! Very very impressive especially for a big machine ....</end quote></div>

Yea, me too. Seems I learn something new everyday. My son has ridden for around 20 years, but he's no help... he just runs them into the ground and gets a new one. LOL

Anyhow, some have said that the 550 has more engine vibration and a rougher clutch engagement than the 850... have you noticed that?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Yea, me too. Seems I learn something new everyday. My son has ridden for around 20 years, but he's no help... he just runs them into the ground and gets a new one. LOL

Anyhow, some have said that the 550 has more engine vibration and a rougher clutch engagement than the 850... have you noticed that?</end quote></div>

lol.... your kid must have the lowest maintenance bill out of all of us!

In regards to vibration....the 850 is amazing smooth running engine so in comparison yes the 550 does have more..... when the 550 first starts
it feels like a one lung thumper but smooths out pretty well. I would not complain, mention it or even list it as a negative, it is very minor and the 850 is amazing.

I will say that the clutch does engage with a certain abruptness. Easy on the throttle and it does engage fairly harshly. Haven't notice it as much once warmed up but I will check that next time on it. It definitely jumps when cold cause I noticed it today when I first pulled out.

brian

Old 01-28-2009, 05:52 PM
DCT
Banned

Yea, he doesn't spend much on maintenance... and has very little trouble. Maybe that's the secret.

Keep us posted on the twins. It will be interesting to see if the engine and clutch engagement on the 550 smooths out over time.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I think the clutch engagement on the 850 is a little harsh in some situations also, like loading it into the back of my truck. Just trying to inch it forward takes some getting used to.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Here is a comparo between the 850 and the 550 not much diff than the obvious! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
http://www.powersportsnetwork....4&vehicle2=93908&go=Go

Quick Reply: Never noticed brake difference between 850 and 550