Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Override Button???? Override what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:34 AM
H20
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Override Button???? Override what?

I have a 08 700 X2 with a snow plow and was wondering if there is a (delete product) out there that put the bike into 4x4 whether in forward or reverse?

It is such a pain to push this button constantly when you are going back and forth plowing snow.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Will it override the on demand 4X4 in forward, or do you still have to have rear wheel spin for 4X4 to lock up?

Old 01-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

No, There has been discussions on here how to do it but no one has come up with a way yet, that I am aware of, to get it to lock in manually.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

No, There has been discussions on here how to do it but no one has come up with a way yet, that I am aware of, to get it to lock in manually.</end quote></div>

Agreed.

Because of the way it is designed, it is mechanically impossible to lock 4x4 in manually unless you do some significant modifications (like weld the mechanism, which would have it's own set of problems that are worse than not having manual 4x4 lock). For most, once you get used to it, it works great, although there are some very specific instances where some would say a manual lock would be better.

I, for one, think the Polaris On-Demand 4WD is a masterful bit of engineering, although the whole reverse override thing is a pain for someone that knows what they are doing (good for the inexperienced tho).

Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once in awhile someone says what a PITA it is to press the button when you back up, but it's not a problem for me. I hang on with both hands and the button is so close I don't have to shift my grip to reach it.

P.S. My friend who has stubby thumbs because of a birth defect can reach the button okay too.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

My 02 uses the button for the Speedo as well

Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

I have been trying to figure out what that over ride button was for sometime now on my 98 trailblazer. I think I may have some bad gears or silent chain in my gear box and I could almost not back up at all....until someone told me to try the override in reverse. Wow! Didnt take long to go from no reverse to burning rubber in reverse, must be on a different gear in there or something?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on which ATV you have they'll do 35 mph in reverse. No, I didn't try it. Years ago I calculated it from the gear ratio in F and R and my top speed in forward.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Pro Rider

NEVER hit the over ride button while under power either. It is both unsafe & expensive as it can blow out the hub gears.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Once in awhile someone says what a PITA it is to press the button when you back up, but it's not a problem for me. I hang on with both hands and the button is so close I don't have to shift my grip to reach it.

P.S. My friend who has stubby thumbs because of a birth defect can reach the button okay too.</end quote></div>

I HATE that button with a passion. It is really annoying when plowing. I can see the utility of having an override for power but having to press a button for 4x4 is infuriating. Even worse mine is defective and unless you hold it in when shifting into reverse the engine dies. I also use a manual plow which necessitates holding the button, lifting the plow and running the throttle. You run out of hands.

It's also annoying when I'm stuck. I may be in a position on the machine where I simply can't reach the blasted button. I may be holding up the machine or hanging off of one side to keep it from rolling over. I need 4x4 without screwing around with that infernal button.

Again, I can see the utility and safety of limiting the power in reverse especially with the extremely powerful engines now days but when you switch into reverse 4x4 should just be there with no extra manipulation. I just don't see the logic Polaris uses for disabling 4x4 in reverse. All it does is encourage owners to disable the blasted switch which then negates the actual useful feature of limiting power in reverse.

Quick Reply: Override Button???? Override what?