Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'94 300 2x4 oil injector question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009 | 04:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default '94 300 2x4 oil injector question

I jsut got a new to me 94 300 2x4 that had a badly scored cylinder.

Got it bored out, new piston, rebuilt carburetor and replaced all the fluids and filters.

Got it started, albeit a bit rough, and went for a gentle break-in ride. After a few minutes it seems to get hot and just shut off like the fuel was cut off.

Long story short: It appears that I might not be getting oil into the carb. I can pull the oil line off of the carb, but a 50:1 mix in the fuel tank, and she runs better and longer, but no oil comes out of the line from the fuel pump.

Is this a correct diagnosis for a possible failed injector pump?

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-31-2009 | 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try bleeding pump first(small screw on top of pump) to see if have air bubbles! If no bubbles,just fluid,you can premix as you described,PLUS while at idle hold pump arm all the way up to see if pumping(can block off carb injector fitting with a small rubber cap or just plug line coming out of pump) Pumps usually pretty dependable,BUT can go out,not just the pump,but the pump shaft gear off the crank! Plus I recommend always to premix first tank of fuel 50-1 on rebuilds just for added protection in case of air in pump or pump failure. Hopefully no major damage to top end since you were taking it easy,but if has a small seizure,probably can just hone and new rings! Good luck

Old 01-31-2009 | 08:43 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

THanks,

I'll check compression tomorrow as well as what you described on the pump. It does seem to be running a lot better. Starting is still a bit of a bear sometimes but I don't think I have all of the kinks out of the carb yet.
I have it about 1.5 turns on the pilot screw and the idle is a bit high, but still low enough that its not grinding when going into gear. I also need to recheck the plug.

*on edit*
Did a compressio ncheck last night. Pressure is hovering aroud 110 to 120 psi so it looks like I'm good there.

Now I need to pull the side cover off and examine the belt as it seems to be whining.

I also need to replace the ingition wire from teh coil to the plug as it looks liek the previous owner let it fly into the cooling fan. Anyone know if I can buy jsut the wire or do I have to get the coil and wire together?