Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help

I got a 97 Polaris Sportsman 400L. Its my first quad so i don't know how to do much of the maintainance. It wouldn't start so i put a new battery in it, and it worked great for 2 weeks now it stalled out on me and won't start. It whines but it won't turnover. So i put a new sparkplug in, and that didn't work. I looked over all the obvious things, gas valve on, fuel level, etc. When i try and start it sometimes if pops and blows **** out of the exhaust. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Travis

Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need Some Help

welcome to the forum. you said it "whines but it won't turnover", does this mean it wont crank the the starter over like a dead battery or it turns over but just wont start? when you changed the plug what did the old one look like? wet. dry. oil fouled? wondering if it flooded(too much gas),or the carb needs to be cleaned maybe float is sticking?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Some Help

i would check the reed valves for cracks or chips

Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help

Hey sorry about that. It turns over but won't start. The old spark plug was covered in black crud so wet fouled maybe. Still trying to figure it out need more ideas to try
thanks
travis

Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Need Some Help

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: trosenberg

Hey sorry about that. It turns over but won't start. The old spark plug was covered in black crud so wet fouled maybe. Still trying to figure it out need more ideas to try

thanks

travis</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You may have solved your own problem,always best to keep a spare plug especially on the 2-strokes. They can partially foul,spit back and not run right.If continuing to foul plugs, check into carb for needle and seat wear.