Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problem

I was rideing last weekend when my 2002 Sportsman 500 HO with a heel clicker kit ( been on it for 6 yrs no problems) made a noise in the clutch houseing kinda like a creeking sound, now it won't go in gear with the motor running and will move at idle and if you hold the brake it sometimes dies. I have taken both drive and driven clutchs off and didn't see anything major other than a little wear on the sheaves. Another thing the belt was tight on the pullys and I pulled on it to loosen and it didn't creep, but as soon as I rev the motor it got tight again and couldn't get it in gear.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Problem

sounds like one of your clutches in "hanging" and not releasing the belt like it should.
when you pulled on the belt did one of the clutches pop back out?
try pulling on the belt again then (with the cover still off) run the motor and see if the primary goes in and out smoothly and that it comes all the way back out.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Problem

I believe the transmission clutch moved out some, and the belt was loose, But the noise sounds like the Primary clutch when I pushed in with my hand.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Problem

i would try what i said. it iwlll tell you where the problem is

Old 02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Problem

The clutchs seem normal, nothing pops out, The primary is all the way out, when I start it it moves in 1/8 inch, when I pull the belt the secondary goes out, naturally. So why does it take about a min to tighten up and start creeping? What I need to now is what should I be looking for as far as it being bad, Like bushings, weights? The idle is fine and tried moving it down, checked motor mounts and tranny bolts. What an I missing?

Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Problem

sounds like ur ebs washers went out on it, can't really see the fiber washer or the brass washer without tearing apart the clutch, u have to have the special tools to do it, u have to take the sheeves apart and the spider in the middle and then you'll know what happened, also check ur front motor mount make sure it didn't bust

Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Problem

Hey i had the same problem on my sportsman 700, everything looked good still tried adjusting and aligning the clutches, it turned out that the outer part of the clutch( inside where the belt sits) was cracking all around but they were fine cracks but enough to make the quad creep ahead in gear and u couldnt shift into gear without shutting off the quad. This happened gradually and got worse so i bought a new (used with low miles) on ebay and been running good ever since hope this solves your prob.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Problem

Thats another thing the front motor mount bolt broke and with my son bagging on it it drove that ways for some time before i caught it so that probly contributed to the cracking clutch

Old 02-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Problem

Let me ask this, I been trying to find an alignment tool for the clutch, I have been asked if it is a P-85 or P-90, I have no idea can someone tell me. Also where is the best and cheapest place to get the tool.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch Problem

i am assuming this is an ebs clutch(primary) and if the bike is creeping when in gear because the belt is too tight because the one way (ebs) bushing or fiber washers are worn out.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem