Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why I should have full skid plates on the 850...lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I should have full skid plates on the 850...lol

I recently decided to hold off on getting the Ricochet skids,the only ones readily available that I know of for the XP. I made that choice in order to see what Alum. Products comes up with..
I've mentioned before that for some reason I always seem to damage the footwells...just my luck I guess...

This time though it was actually quite comical...I never even saw the the limb..cruising along on a trail about 10-15 mph enjoying the sights and just heard a loud "blam" and felt my foot jump..looked down and saw this..

Name:  861b2cc1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  100.7 KB
Name:  b6de6d49.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  66.3 KB
Name:  00c25e48.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  109.5 KB

Oh well..I don't think the Ricochet skids would have prevented this anyway...another reason I didn't buy them I'm hoping the alum. products ones are a little better...

Old 02-15-2009, 01:58 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep, I can see why full skids would come in handy. Glad the damage was only at a minimum... and only to the the machine.

Trim the edges a bit, and you have a nice big drain hole. LOL

Old 02-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah..it was one of those "you had to be there.. how the heck did that happen moments"..it was actually quite funny and had us laughing like silly kids for awhile as it seemed to come from nowhere and I had just mentioned this morning that I might not even put skids on it..like I said you had to be there I guess..lol
But yeah..it could have been alot less funny..even though my foot wasn't really near it I still felt a pretty good jolt to my foot,like when somone kicks the bottome of your shoes from behind while you are walking. Had it of shoved through far enough to catch my leg before the limb broke it wouldn't been funny at all...it came though with some serious force..
I had a heck of a time beating it out with a hammer...it was in there tight..

Already fixed the hole....so no extra drain...good idea though..could do each side and you'd never know!
Name:  39eee881.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  99.0 KB

Old 02-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

they should just make the stock ones out of metal instead of plastic...just my opinion

Old 02-15-2009, 02:44 PM
DCT
Banned

Nice fix Rod!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

jeeeez that's pretty crazy that a branch could be hit in such a way for it to harpoon up through the floor board. Just curious Rod on what you used for the repair?

brian

Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ruggo

jeeeez that's pretty crazy that a branch could be hit in such a way for it to harpoon up through the floor board. Just curious Rod on what you used for the repair?

brian</end quote></div>

Yeah...I was suprised..one of those on in a million things I have the luck for..lol
For the reapir I pushed the plastic back into place as much as possible with a large flat tipped screwdriver then I used a soldering iron to kind of plastic weld it top and bottom..took about 5 minutes...and it seems pretty solid..

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

Dang!! That really sucks, at least you didn't get hurt. The fix you did looks really good, can't really tell it ever happened. Those skids from Richochet look like they'd be great protection!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

I recently added floor board skid protectors on my bike for that very reason. I agree with a previous poster in that they should not be made out of plastic in the first place.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Nice fix! It looks pretty good!

I think the tires are the culprit. Not sure if you mentioned that already. MST's are very similar to the XTR's, and when I had them, they caught and threw up the branches very easily. Had quite a few times on my brute when I expected to look down and see something similar. I must have been lucky and they weren't harpooned at me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It makes one heck of a loud noise when they hit that plastic!!

Quick Reply: Why I should have full skid plates on the 850...lol