Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hockey puck lift kit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hockey puck lift kit question

Hi, long time reader, first time poster.
I was reading a post recently by a guy called "quad 4" who had a great idea with some excellent pics and instructions for a front end lift kit using hockey pucks. It looks like a great idea, and cheap and easy. I could really use the extra inch or so on my 01 sportsman 500ho. My question is has anyone had this lift in for a while, how does it work, anything wearing ect. The reason I ask is I read another post from way back, where someone installed the pucks, and his front drive shafts popped out and cleaned the splines off both sides.(but think of the money he saved on the lift kit!) Was this just a bad installation, is this a real risk? Advice please, I'm really thinking of doing this.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't do it, it seems to cost more in the long run that a set of 27's that will give you the extra inch of lift. IMO It just stresses and breaks parts.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Range Rover

Hello, welcome to the forum. Lots of great people on here.
There are a lot of guys on the highlifter forum that have the puck lifts, they migh have some more info there. Another thing to look into is here, Rubberdown Customs, I have heard a lot of good about their lifts.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

If you like the looks of a lifted quad and have the time and resourses to complete the project,HELL YA do it!!!!.. No need to spend a 100.00 on a rubber down lift or anybody elses for that matter they all do the exact same thing as the so called "Hockey Puck" lift and it works great. I used sections of pipe and mine bike has been lifted for almost 5 years. I would not go back to the stock wimpey look, I would rather give up my quad.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

So you guys don't think you run a risk by putting in the puck lift?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Ask STENDORI! He used some kind of pipe/PVC couplers. They did the job and you can get'em from a
local hardware store. I don't want to mis-speak, so he is the expert, ask him. I have a few times, I got
the info. in my PM logs but he should comment on them. I added springs to my front and hope to add
27" tires soon.

Regards,

R'

Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well you will have a little extra stress on your front end parts like the ball joints,wheel bearings and the axles because of all of extra fun your going to have . It"s amazing how much more I was able to go through then my buddys stock bikes but I also run 28" " zillas .

Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

I say do it - you we be glad when your nose doesnt dive into the ground anymore!

I went with HD springs and it was the better than I hoped for

Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well: thanks everyone for your input, I think I will give it a try when I get a chance to get out to the shop. Our snow is pretty well gone here in cen. Ontario, so The sled is parked, and I am switching gears into ATV mode, can't wait!!

Thanks again

Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think it depends on how much you lift the bike up as to how much wear and tear it does on the front end. i only went 1 1/2" to make up the front end sag from the weak springs and struts and it workd good for my 800 w/out making it handle funny.

Quick Reply: hockey puck lift kit question