Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: biz4two

Added hp...

[img][/img]</end quote></div>

Exactly how did you measure that?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check out this oil test. You may change your mind about RP.
http://www.ezlubes.com/product_info/g2156.pdf

Here's some more discussion,
http://www.zxforums.com/forums...-royal-purple-oil.html

Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't run any different viscosity then recommended. I think AMSOIL is great never had any issues. I used to run the K&N oil filters because I loved the nut on the end of the filter. My machine the filter is hard to access. Now that Amsoil has a filter for my machine I use them.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM
DCT
Banned

Yea, I don't even need to look at that stuff. I seen enough questionable UOA's on RP to steer me away. I've also read about the poor shear tests.

As far as the HP goes, any manufacturer can make that claim under the right circumstances...

Take a high HP automotive engine and do a dyno with cheap dino oil. Then replace the oil with one that provides a lot less friction, and you can probably squeeze out a tiny, tiny bit more HP.

For ATV's I doubt anyone would be able to measure a difference.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

I agree...besides even if it does add HP it doesn't do much good if the oil shears out of spec quickly. I'd rather lose a little power in return for long engine life.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Ok here's my take..I've used RP...and I do not like the fact that I can't easily visually tell when it is dirty..how's that for scientific..lol..
IMO you cannot go wrong with AMSOIL..the stuff has just proven over the years to perform..it is the only oil that I can say I have seen first hand how it performs..not just what I have read...Mobil1 is a close 2nd due to it's availability.

As for weight..this has alot to do with engine design..tolerances play a big part..different metals and alloys expand and contract with temp changes at different rates...as others have said I would not run a 20W-50 in an engine spec'd for 2w-50..maybe 5w-50 or 0w-40..but not 20w-50...
The first number is the oils vicosity when cold..basically at start up..which is when most wear occurs..I could go into why a wide viscosity range oil is bad..and how to combat is negatives...but I am not a scientist and all the info I have on that is readily available on the internet...what I will say is try to stay as close to the manufacturers suggestions as possible..they have done the research on their engines and know what needs to be used for the best results IMO.
But I must say that Polaris hitting us with a odd weight oil requirement is frustrating..kind of like the weird plugs for the 850 that no one else makes..
Personally before I switch from the Polaris 2w-50 oil I am going to check the oil pressure under various conditions and then switch to the oil I want to run and see how much difference there is in the pressures..I really think that the 0w-40 will be fine,especially in cooler climates..and in the warmer areas a 5w-50 should be fine..but again I want to see the pressure differences for myself..I'm really leaning toward the 5w-50 in my climate..as I have heard rumor that Polaris went to a 2W-50 due to low pressures at idle..again i want to compare the difference in pressures for myself...unless someone beats me to it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
DCT
Banned

All good points HO, and I look forward to your findings on the oil pressure results. If you find one better than the other, I'll switch in a heartbeat. Although, I think the AMSOIL will work as well as, or better than the Polaris stuff.

Here's my reasoning for the AMSOIL...

Plowing is the toughest thing my ATV does. I start it up in 0 degree weather. 10 minutes later as I am plowing, the fan is kicking on and off every couple of minutes. So, I've gone from one extreme to the other. Running the ATV in low range at high RPM's and pushing a lot of heavy snow around is hard work on an ATV... or any plowing vehicle. I want the best protection I can afford under those circumstances. We ride some pretty aggressive trails, but compared to the plowing, the trail riding is a "day off" for the ATV. LOL

With that said, folks who live in a milder climate, and don't have to torture their machine with plowing... don't have to be near as concerned with their choice in oils, and other lubricants for that matter. Still, I always prefer to err on the side of overkill when it comes to this stuff.

EDIT: Of course, there are some folks (LOL) who torture their ATV's in any climate, without plowing. LOL They too need the best lubricants.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Budman650

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: biz4two

Added hp...
</end quote></div>

Exactly how did you measure that?</end quote></div>

By the seat of my a$$ of course! How else? LOL!

biz

Old 03-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Budman650

Check out this oil test. You may change your mind about RP.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ezlubes.com/product_info/g2156.pdf
">http://www.ezlubes.com/product_info/g2156.pdf
</a>
Here's some more discussion,

http://www.zxforums.com/forums...-royal-purple-oil.html</end quote></div>

Sorry dude...but that so called scientific test from AMSOIL just proves that AMSOIL was going to come out on top. You know...kinda like a good old fashioned "home town" ref in a high school basketball game. LOL!

Like I said...I have been using RP since I bought my 2003 Civic...and my car runs like a top. I just replaced the PVC valve...and the darn thing was super clean. Replaced it...because of mileage...not ill performance.

Now...as I also said...for a Polaris XP...I wouldn't use RP because they do not make a 2w50 anyway. So...be default RP is disqualified from even being considered...IMO. Follow what the Manufacturer recommendations I always say.

biz

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Any oil will work if you change it regularly......... As long as you are using the proper viscosity and blend for your purposes, and you keep it clean and fresh, you will have good luck with every oil.....

I use Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil because that is the wet clutch oil that most of the dealerships I've used have always sold. I know many off-road riders and many have been relying on Amsoil for 20+ years.........

But I also know people who have been using old fashioned dino oils for years without problems too.....

I saw a Corvette blown up once with Mobil 1 in it.........so bad things can happen no matter what oil you use.....

If Royal Purple has worked for you, keep using it..... I've never used it, but I know people who have so it must be OK.........

Any claim to magical powers by any oil is suspect.

Quick Reply: What does everyone think about using Royal Purple?