Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

spring installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring installation

Anybody know any tricks to install front springs without the aid of a spring compressing tool? But w/o getting ko'd or losing a finger!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Pro Rider

meddy - what type of springs? I installed the Polaris HD springs without a compressor - click here

I believe you will need a compressor (of sorts) with some of the other springs. Many have used a ratchet strap to compress the springs.

There's lots of info on this forum - just do a search for the type of springs you are installing

Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO one side at a time and llet the weight of the quad do the work for you.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when i did mine i did one side at a time using ratchet straps to wrap around and compress the spring.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure what year and model you have but I know on the later model sportsman('05 and up) you don't need compressors to install front springs unless you have spacers under the spring......The rear is a different story and requires compressors....5J's did a nice write up...Most important part is to not let the axles drop down too far .....Probably an hour job beginning to end....Very easy........

John

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider

i used 2 large hose clamps and got 4 coils on each side and tightened them up evenly and compressed it about 3 inches

Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I did mine with ratchet straps and a ATV jack. Stendori, 5J's and a few others helped me with info. and their pics. While I was at it I snapped a few of my own during this project feel free to check out my pics too off my Webshots page (HD Springs installation). I will say this since I did this RECENTLY, I thought I wasn't compressing the spring enough using two ratchet straps to disassemble the strut from its coupler-strut housing thingy. Use the jack to position it right on the A-arm, allow the arm to drop down enough to swing the strut/spring down far enough to get out and your spring off. -Make sense?

Regards,

R'

Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Here is another way that I do when I change strut cartridges and need to compress spring down to install top plate and nut: large vicegrips wrapped in tape on the jaws or you can use a piece of rubber to keep from scarring chrome shaft,LIGHTLY lock onto shaft through spring about 4 coils down from top and turn vicegrip,it ramps upward and compresses spring enough to install plate and nut and then impact on! Been doing this for years! REAR spring different story; I use a vice and lever type spring compresser to compress spring and remove locking plate.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

5J, thanx for the instructions on the spring change! I did mine in about 45 min. thanks to your perfectly layed out instructions, maybe polaris should hire you to right there's, there's were pretty poor. Thanx again

Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

certainly welcome. Glad the instructions helped.

Quick Reply: spring installation