Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Land Between the Lakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't a Polaris question, and I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. But has anyone here every been to Land Between the Lakes? Some buddies and I were planning a trip down there and wondering if it's worth the trip.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:41 AM
ox
Pro Rider

I drive all the way through Michigan every month or so. Is it worth the trip? Well, that's the quickest route to the Great White North. But I rarely stop for any amount of time in Michigan.

Other than that, I have no idea what you are talking about [ as far as land between the lakes. I just had to pipe in. LOL!

Old 02-11-2001, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

Land Between the Lakes is down in Kentucky, it's the land between Lake Kentucky and Lake Barkley. I've heard different stories. Some say it's 800 acres and some say it's 1100 acres. You camp right in the middle and from your came ground you hit the trails. Just wondering if the trails are fun or just trails (boring trails)

Old 02-11-2001, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

They have a web site here's the address.

http://www2.lbl.org/lbl/OHVGate.html

Old 02-12-2001, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

I don't know how long you would have to drive but here's my two cents worth...

I went with some buddies last fall. It was about a five and a half hour drive for us. I had worked the night before, and only got about forty five minutes of sleep on the way down. We got there pretty early and rode probably seven or eight hours. Needless to say, I was dead that evening. The only thing that kept me going was the pure excitement of the trails. I absolutely loved it!

This was my first time, but my friends had been before. I think we had to pay around fifteen to twenty bucks to ride....and it was well worth it. There was everything from casual trails to unclimbable hills. At least by me....there were tracks going up them, so someone was able to climb them, just not me. There was lake shore riding, mud bogs, fast riding, slow riding and even some doughnut pits. There was something for everyone.

If you look at a map, it kind of makes you think you might run out of riding pretty quick. We are used to covering distances of about fifty miles on an average trail ride. But, the neat thing is that there are trails everywhere. You can go from point A to point B on ten different trails if you want to. The guys I ride with don't like to cover the same trails twice.....and after all day of riding....I think we may have happened upon the same trail maybe once or twice.

The scenery is awesome. The views from the top of the hills overlooking the lake is breathtaking. Bring your camera. I really liked being able to blast along the shore, and dip into the lake at a high speed to clean the mud off of the bottom of my quad. It's a whole lot more fun than doing it at a carwash. Also, depending on the pool level of the lake...there are several gravel bars that you can ride out into the lake on. I thought that was pretty cool.

Sorry about being a little long winded....but every time I think about this place, I get a little excited. We are planning another trip the first weekend in May. This time, I think I will take some time off work and ride for two or three days.

If you decide to make the trip...good luck and enjoy. I know I will...

Old 02-12-2001, 11:51 AM
BK
Pro Rider

Their web site says 2500 acres and 100 miles of trail as well as lake shore riding. Exploring and off trail riding is permitted. It also says 600 ft drop near shore makes some rugged hills.

Old 02-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

I looked at the website last night and noticed that they have an age limit on ATV's. I was wondering if with an adult if they wave the limit like Wis. does. My son is 12 and has a 325. There is NO way I'll get him to ride a 90cc bike. For once in his life he could tell me NO and I would have to agree with him. Does anyone live in Kentucky that knows the laws? I need help fast, I have to schedule vacation at work by Friday.

Thanks