Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

loading ramps

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009 | 08:12 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default loading ramps

obviously 200.00 ramps are key... but im cheap like that...i have a 93 ranger.. so its pretty small and close to the ground... i have a couple longer 2 x 6's im thinking about bolting a metal plate too.. any ideas?

Old 03-19-2009 | 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Default loading ramps

I would go with something stronger and wider like staging planks. I have a pair I don't use anymore that I put those kit metal pieces on. Held my X2 with me on it fine. About 1000 lbs. The metal pieces are premade and you can get them for about $30 if I remember right. I think you can get them anywhere you'd buy the ramps. I did get a pair of heavy duty aluminum ramps from Cabelas when I built up enough Cabelas points. I like the aluminum ramps much better.

Old 03-19-2009 | 08:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default loading ramps

Harley, I have a set of green treat 2x10 8'. I can see in the back of a ranger the angle would not be steep at all. The metal plate really only serves as a transition and the slide pretty easy unless you attach some soft rubber to the underside of the plates. Don't use regular lumber it Will crack quickly, and use at least 2x8. RAMP Or for $109 the next weekday your going through Minneapolis you can get a nice folding aluminum set. I'm picking up a set on 3/25 if they look good in person. By the time you buy the green treat and ramp ends you would easily have $50 in them. The homemade ones don't fold and store nice like the aluminums do. IMO another $59 is the way to go. Unless, you have all the material laying around to make them. P.S. If you do make your own, staple some asphault shingles on the face of the ramp boards. They get slippery when wet.

Old 03-19-2009 | 08:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default loading ramps

In a pinch, 2x8x8 with roofing asphalt shingles nail to the surface for traction works fine.

Old 03-19-2009 | 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Default loading ramps

Another thing you want to think about is some way to tie the ramps to your truck when loading. There have been alot of people hurt when their ramps fell off their tailgates.

Old 03-19-2009 | 08:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default loading ramps

I am cheap to, so I got some 2x8's that are 8'' long to but a 250 Xplorer in the back of a 150. I have the metal plates also. These are pretty important for come back down the ramp; without them the wheels will want to push the ramp off the tailgate. Anyway, it worked but if I had to do over again I would just get a set of folding ramps. Much, Much, Much safer, especially the heavier the machine, more convenient, and did I mention safer.

Old 03-19-2009 | 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default loading ramps

Yeah, The rubber on the bottom of the ramp plates do alright holding in place. You just get some rope and attach to one side of the ramp then get a hook for the end and drill a hole in the plate to run the hook through after looping it around your tailgate, or bumper.

Old 03-19-2009 | 10:13 AM
Range Rover
Default loading ramps

Coscto has them for something like $99 folding and alum. I spent $150 for mine years ago before Costco had them. Look for them on line at Costco.com I would think they would be there?
Never mind there $99 each that includes free shipping!

Old 03-19-2009 | 10:51 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default loading ramps

my step dad has a mega cab.. before he had gotten his trailer i was loading his 800 x2 into his box.. wow was that scary.. to make **** even worse i tipped it off and it landed on his side..... i like my ranger... is about 2 feet from the ground lol

Old 03-19-2009 | 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default loading ramps

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 1200bruce

Coscto has them for something like $99 folding and alum. I spent $150 for mine years ago before Costco had them. Look for them on line at Costco.com I would think they would be there?

Never mind there $99 each that includes free shipping!</end quote></div>

Yeah, $200 is alot to spend on ramps and they ony have 1000# limit for two. The link I posted previous is only 109.00 1700#. I live in SD and have to drive 3.5 hours to get them so harleyowner should be able to get that way if he wants to. HARLEY OWNER do you have an eight foot bed on the ranger? I'd imagine you have a 6.5' quite a load with a wheeler in the back not alot of room for ramps and other gear, but if you don't go far no big deal.

Quick Reply: loading ramps