Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'07 sportsman 450 bogged down in water and know jerky when driving.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 sportsman 450 bogged down in water and know jerky when driving.

I took my 450 out riding this weekend with some friends and was running across a muddy area. Near the end of the area one of the mud holes was deeper than I expected. The Sportsman splashed into the water and bogged down to the point of almost stalling. I kept on the gas enough to keep it from stalling. My forward momentum carried me thru most of the hole to the point that I was setting with the front tires almost out of the water, my feet under the water, and the rear wheels under water but not to the point the exhaust was under water. After about 30 sec to a 1 minute it started running a little better and I was able to pull fowards a little ways. Then the engine begain running better but I still had no forward motion. Slowly the wheels began to turn then a cloud of white smoke came from under me. This was only for a few seconds then it was gone. After I was pulled from mud the quad as jerky motion when I drive it. The jerk continues in high, low and reverse. Both 2 and 4 wheel drive. When back on the dry land I pulled the drain plug from the clutch cover and a little water came out. I am new working on quads and am not sure where to start. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

If the motor is running fine I would check the drive belt. I have gone through water in the past and have had the same type of problems, turns out my belt got wet and flipped.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it sounds like you may have splashed water enough to wear a little got in the air filter area and may have sucked into the engine. just take off the air box cover and have a look if the filter is a little wet. also it sounds like you got the belt belt and burn it a little(hence the white smoke) and when it dried out the belt caught as it dreid. now if its hitching as you say and if you know the belt area is dry and free of mud then it sounds like you may of burned a flat spot in the belt. imo.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did have to drain some water out of the air box but there was only maybe an inch in the bottom of drain hose on the air box. I just finished pulling the belt off and there is a spot on it that is thiner than the rest.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

theres your noise and flat spot. time to replace the belt. make sure that filter is dry in the air box as well.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

yep headed to the dealership wednesday to get a new belt and gasket.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

is your gasket junk or ripped? sounds like you got water in thru the vent tube when you got water in the air box and most likely not in the cover thru the gasket. if the gasket isnt bad you most likley can reuse it or pay the $15 to $20 for a new one. cant remember how much they were. oh ya make sure to put the new belt on w/ the words facing you so you can read them.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the belt for sure...........Question were you in high gear when getting out of the mud/water hole?
........Caper.........

Old 03-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hate to chance burning another belt because the gasket was leaking.
Yes I was in high gear.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i dont blame ya there. capers point w/ the 450's(and i had one) you want to use low range when your in a good hole to save on the bike and belt(as you found out) by taking the load off the engine and putting on the low range tranny. imo.

Quick Reply: '07 sportsman 450 bogged down in water and know jerky when driving.