Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dip stick.....Dip $hit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dip stick.....Dip $hit

So my first post on here and it's not good. Need some input.

I changed the oil in my new Polaris XP850 today. All went well except for one little problem......I lifted the dip stick out of its hole in the block and placed it on a slight angle for good air flow when I drained the oil. Then I replaced the oil / filter and drain plug, and proceeded to start the bike......without checking the dip stick (simply forgot). Well the dip stick must have been touching the crank or some moving parts inside the case, because it shot across the room with a back-fire like bang from the engine. When I picked it up roughly the bottom 1/3 was missing! I have no idea where the rest ended up. I checked as far as I could with a bright light and saw nothing (used a bent piece of wire as a hook). Then I parked it sideways on a big steep snowbank at about a 40 degree angle and still nothing was visible down the filler hole. Was hoping the piece(s) would slide into sight if it was there. -Called the dealer and they said not to worry about it. The oil screen in middle of the case would prevent it from doing any damage. Does anybody know if it will get chewed up into little pieces down there in the bowels of case? Any input, as long as it's not "Dude, your bike is wrecked" would be appreciated. -Can't believe this......

Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

I would be a bit concerned knowing that whatever bit it off could chew on it some more. Do not know what it might be though I am afraid.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I couldn't find anything in there and the parts are big (crank, etc). There no large pools of oil in the top half (as you look in) so there doesn't seem to be a way for the piece to be transported up into the mashers. I'm hopeful it either got ejected or is somewhere out of harms way.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Range Rover

If it has a screen can you get one of those long rod magnets in there and try to pick it up?
Best of luck
Dave

Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Boy that sucks!!!! You know you try to be sharp and on top of all this stuff doing things a little better but then some freaky incident like this happens. You must be sick over this. Not that it should be a problem and the dealer who knows exactly what the bottom end looks like inside already said don't worry so I would take his advise and put it out of your mind. I would spend a little on some extra oil and try to flush it out, might be worth a shot to put your mind at ease. Run the oil through some cheese cloth and see if it the piece shows up.

I believe the dip stick is plastic isn't it? If so, I don't think (IMO but I really have no clue) it could cause any damage with being down in the lower end.

Good luck!

- brian

Old 03-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it sucks. But I'm hoping it's not that big a deal. No way to flush it out since the screen is there preventing it from moving to the drain plug. Tried everything I could think of to get it out. I did add some extra oil to see if it would float up, since it's plastic but there's no sign of it, or any tiny pieces. I'm thinking even if a couple of pieces do get ground up, the filter will grab them before they hit the main oiling system. Hoping that's the case anyway.....why have such a filtration system if this is not the case? The whole idea of the filter is to keep crap from getting into the system. In this case it's large, hard plastic crap, not ultra-fine particles of metal.

I ran it yesterday for about 1/2 hour with the new 0W-40 Amsoil and it behaved fine. Didn't hear anything strange, and no oil light. It's remotely possible that the piece got ejected with the stick (wishful thinking). Like you said though, it's plastic and there's not much it can do to hurt the inner workings like a chunk of metal would. If it somehow plugs an oil return or supply port, I'd think the oil light would come on.

Got a new dip stick on order for 8 bucks.

Attempting to remain positive.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

The left counterbalance shaft got it..the weight on the left shaft rotates right by the dipstick hole..it actually blocks part of the opening if the weight is in the right position..
You are not the first guy to break on if it makes you feel better..
I know that Polaris has put out a few different dip ticks so far due to breakages..but supposedly those weren't the owners fault..maybe we just found out why they were breaking dipsticks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Possibly Polaris made the newer ones a softer plastic so instead of breaking they just flex and get thrown out without snapping..I know mine is a hard grey plastic and the new ones that I have seen are a softer yellow plastic.
AFAIK one guy left his in the pan last I heard..another guys dealer pulled it apart under warranty and got the piece out..again those guys said the stick just broke off on them.
The screen they mentioned is the pickup screen so it can and likely has found the bottom of the pan..but the screen will keep it from getting sucked up by the oil pump....
Chances of it causing a problem are slim..for peace of mind I would make an effort to get it out..but it is going to take some luck and creative thinking to get it short of pulling the pan..

Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

High,

Was hoping you would reply. Thanks for the info. Think I'm going to just let it ride as is and not lose anymore sleep. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

Can't imagine it's worth taking the rig apart for a piece of plastic. If the stick is not perfectly placed it will get snagged. Never do that again.

Let you know what the new stick looks like.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

I thought the grey part of the dipstick was metal. that's funny. Don't use the magnet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Grizz, I didn't want to say that plastic wouldn't stick to a magnet. Figured you were thinking along those lines.