Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

wrecked..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I do feel lucky, Its a wake up call. Once i felt it hit and swing around I leaned the same way it turned and hung on strong, and luckily hung on. The tree isn't taking up a whole lot of trail clearance but when the rear end slid it had no problem hitting it.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Yeah I do feel lucky, Its a wake up call. Once i felt it hit and swing around I leaned the same way it turned and hung on strong, and luckily hung on. The tree isn't taking up a whole lot of trail clearance but when the rear end slid it had no problem hitting it.

Thus the need for a quality helmet. I love to ride without one, but you remind me how necessary they are. They're supposed to be replaced every five years too. If dropped from 4' or above they're also supposed to be replaced. I don't take helmets serious enough.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

wow...good luck with it all.....post picture once its all done.....itp mudlites in your future maybe lol

Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by FunRide
Thus the need for a quality helmet. I love to ride without one, but you remind me how necessary they are. They're supposed to be replaced every five years too. If dropped from 4' or above they're also supposed to be replaced. I don't take helmets serious enough.
Really? 4'? Never knew that. I dont use one but my excuse is I dont have the funds for a $130 helmet. Now along with this $200+ repair I need to get them tires replaced, this was the last time i'm delaying it lol.

Originally Posted by trainfixerjer
wow...good luck with it all.....post picture once its all done.....itp mudlites in your future maybe lol
Definitely! I looked and liked what I saw, some 25x11x12s would be great! Along with getting 12" SS312 wheels.... damn it now I want wheels, I was afraid this would happen lol.

First things first, bills, then repair quad, just gotta keep saying that

Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

I just ordered the upper and lower A-Arms. $184. They're only in black so that means i'm going to have to get some paint work done, should be a big deal my friend might be able to get them done at a good low cost.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just goto sherwin williams and get a can or two of valspar yellow paint. rough up the existing paint and have at it..with small parts like that you dont have to worry about overspray or having to tape stuff off.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by eggenz7
just goto sherwin williams and get a can or two of valspar yellow paint. rough up the existing paint and have at it..with small parts like that you dont have to worry about overspray or having to tape stuff off.
Do you think it will last? I'm great at spray painting but I figure that the suspension takes alot of abuse climbing things and scrapes, might be better off having it professionally sprayed.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

I'd just spray it with the Sherwin Williams paint. I painted the rear suspension on my XP black with enamel spray paint and it worked great. I was missing paint from the track installation kit. Just gave it like three coats and it looks good as new. Not worth having it professionally done IMO. Way to much work getting set up and cleaning up for 20 square inches of metal. If it rubs off, then just clean it and give it a couple of more shots. Like mentioned......prep it up good and shoot it for $8.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

you did a nice job!! i feel your pain tho. back when i had my 00 sportsman. i let some one use it. and they decided to take it though a road ditch. well it i didnt get to break it but they broke the left front strut, broke the rod that goes thought the lower a-arm like yours cept the left front, cracked the back fender, bent the left foot well, bent the left tie rod(if the oil resivour would have been plastic like they are now ida hada but a new oil tank), and it poped the drive shaft out of the cv joint and the boot. after putting back on my truck and putting in the garage. 3 days of rebending the foot well, the mounts where the a-arm mounts, sliding the shaft back into the boot and poping it back into place, replacing the strut. all was good again. least they didnt bend the a-arm like yours. but never had a problem with the boot, joint, or anything on that side. the shaft on yours looks like it just pulled it self out of the joint. if the boots not tore and dirt and water didnt get inside of it. id say just slid it thought the boot hole and find the hole for the shaft to slide into and push it back into place. bend the ear for the a-arm back straight. buy the top a-arm and the rod for the bottom a-arm. if the bottom a-arm isent bent or tweeked id say leave it. other than that it will be an easy fix. good luck....

Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
you did a nice job!! i feel your pain tho. back when i had my 00 sportsman. i let some one use it. and they decided to take it though a road ditch. well it i didnt get to break it but they broke the left front strut, broke the rod that goes thought the lower a-arm like yours cept the left front, cracked the back fender, bent the left foot well, bent the left tie rod(if the oil resivour would have been plastic like they are now ida hada but a new oil tank), and it poped the drive shaft out of the cv joint and the boot. after putting back on my truck and putting in the garage. 3 days of rebending the foot well, the mounts where the a-arm mounts, sliding the shaft back into the boot and poping it back into place, replacing the strut. all was good again. least they didnt bend the a-arm like yours. but never had a problem with the boot, joint, or anything on that side. the shaft on yours looks like it just pulled it self out of the joint. if the boots not tore and dirt and water didnt get inside of it. id say just slid it thought the boot hole and find the hole for the shaft to slide into and push it back into place. bend the ear for the a-arm back straight. buy the top a-arm and the rod for the bottom a-arm. if the bottom a-arm isent bent or tweeked id say leave it. other than that it will be an easy fix. good luck....
Thanks for the advice man. I think i'll try the self painting. That sounds pretty rough for your old '00! I'm sure hoping that axle shaft goes back in the right way. Both of my a-arms are bent to hell so they both need replaced. The order has been made so i'm just awaiting. Then i'm going to end up painting them, and then swapping bushings from the old arms.