Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How hard is it to install a lift on Sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 02:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wanting to lift the front of my Sportsman,and wanted to know how dificult this might be?

Old 02-15-2001, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

How much of a lift do you require? I am running 27' mudbugs all around. The only change is found in a set of higher rate springs from Polaris. Those that I know who have utilized lift kits have had significant driveline angle problems. The lifts are not needed with tire sizes of 27' and under.

Old 02-15-2001, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info! The reason I was considering a lift was because I thought you had to have it 4 27" tires.How much do the springs run? I dont know what type of tire Im going to get but the size I want is 27".How do you like your Mudbugs? Do they rub when you hit bumps?

Old 02-15-2001, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

What driveline angle problems? I don't have any with my High Lifter lift kit. Does anyone with a lift kit have this alleged problem?

weetoots

Old 02-15-2001, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

So Weetoots, How hard is it to install? And how do you like it?

Old 02-15-2001, 08:42 PM
Range Rover

Jamie,
The rear shock bracket is a DIY. The front shock/McPherson strut should be done by someone with a spring compressor for a motorcycle, not a car.
I had the dealer do mine.

A plus to the lift kit is a higher clearance both front and rear. I didn't need the lift for my 26" Goodyear Mudrunners. I ride in areas with a lot of downed tree, post logging.

weetoots

Old 02-16-2001, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Take a look at the angle of incidence on the cv shafts!! Polaris quads with lifts have a tendency to "bind"the cv joint and the upper u-joint. Furthermore, I have seen the cv axl pull itself out of the hub. If you are heavy with the throttle lift kits are trouble!!

Old 02-16-2001, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I forgot to mention how my mudbugs have worked.-In general they work very well-nice multi-application tire. Vamps work better in the mud, but the mudbugs work better in the muskeg and on the trails and loose slopes. The springs were very cheap- about $45 cdn per.

Old 02-16-2001, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer

theres alot of ways to lift the front of your s/p..you can buy h/d springs from polaris for like 22 bucks a piece..you can buy a lift kit,or you can get progressive front springs,at about 170 for the 2 fronts..if your a very agressive mudder and are not careful you could break an axle,it does happen but not all the time..axles and c/v`s can break and have on other brands too,it`s not just a polaris thing..i made spacers for my frt springs..cut them in half and they are made that way so i can take it out in less than 10 mins..this idea was created by gregsims and i used his help to make it so i cant take the credit for the idea..it works great,biggest reason i did it the way i did was so i didnt have to take the struts out and remove springs an such to take the lift out for warranty purposes..im sorry to tell you if you put 27`s on your quad your frt will rub..a few people have wanted to see my lift so im going to try to take pics of the lift spacers tonite so you can see what it is,oh and by the way anything listed above will make your quad ride stiffer..to get some things you have to give up others,it will be a bit of a stiffer ride.. ill give you more info on my spacers if you would like,i used 2 different sizes of pipe and a little time welding to make it for next to nothing

Old 02-16-2001, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

#1 Take advice on the forums for what they are worth. There are a few people on here that have been there/done that... but there are amny more that offer advice on subjects they know nothing about.

#2 I would not advise a rear lift on any SP500. The rear already has more clearance than the front even when the lift is installed on the front. Just my opinion... like I said take it for what it is worth.

3# The easiest way to lift the front end is the way bowtie described. If you install a 2" lift under tha spring, and only lift the strut 1" out of the housing, you are unlikely to have any problems. This serves 2 purposes. 1)It privieds 1" of lift. 2) It compresses the spring slightly reducing sag. The end result is you have the same tire clearance that you would get with a 2" lift, but you have only changed the angle of the drive shaft slightly.

Greg

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install a lift on Sportsman?