Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman 850 Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sportsman 850 Problem??

I have a new sportsman 850 with about 600 miles on it know. Does anyone know if the 850 has a torque limiter in the drive system, Under heavy load when going up a steep hill pretty much wide open it seems that something is slipping in the drive train, It will start ratcheting and u have to let off the throttle to get it to catch again. To see if i could duplicate the problem on my carport i put it in low and took off pretty hard, about 1 out of 3 times i could get it to do it there to, guess im wondering if it has some kind of torque limiting slip clutch or if something may be broken??
Any info is much appreciated

Old 05-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a cv joint starting to strip. do you have bigger/heavier tires on it? wheel spacers maybe? those cause more stress on the components but under *normal* circumstances shouldnt cause too much of a problem?

what about boots? have one tear recently and when was the last time they were checked?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i belave a while ago "Highoctang" did a post about this when people were putting large tires on and under stress there is a build in limiter in the transmission which cause the isses you are describing.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

The machine is totally stock. Cv joints all look good no tears in the boots. Seems like i remember reading something about the one in the tranny now that u mention it. I just cant imagine they would put one in that would slip that easy. I might add to that i have never noticed this untill the last couple weeks.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

It's the SLD= Spike Load Damper. It usually happens under large loads, but it will happen under several other circumstances.

There has been people that have welded, them, but there is a company that sells the kit, but it requires the dissassembly of the tranmission, so if you want to go that route, it is fixable

Sten- I bet HO will be gettin his fixed now with the lift and the 32's lol

Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yep...sounds like the SLD,basically it is a spring loaded ramp style limiter that was designed to minimize driveline shock loads,such as landing a jump under wide open throttle. I've not heard of anyone slipping it with stock tires,but it is very common with larger(30"+) tires. It seems that once it engages it tends to engage more easily each time. If it is engaging climbing hills with stock tires I'd brung it into a dealer.

BTW so far mine has not slipped with 32's..I haven't been in any real deep mud yet,but I have climbed hills,pulled wheelies,launched it WOT on pavement ect..no hint of slipping..if and when it does I'll be pulling the tranny and shimming it up with the offroadpowersports "kit".

Old 05-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

I have noticed that since it did it the first time it has gotten way worse. How complicated is it to put the shim kit in?? Im planning on bigger tires before next winter so im assuming i would be money ahead to do it now! but i will get intouch with the dealer and see what they have to say about it.. Has anyone gotten the dealer to put this kit in on a warranty deal if they have to go into it anyways! Im kinda doubting mine will just wondering if anyone has had suck luck.
Thanks for all the info

Old 05-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by cornicejumper
i will get intouch with the dealer and see what they have to say about it..
That's a good idea. Have them fix it. It's too new to be dealing with that. Nothing similar on mine either, but I've got stock tires.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

Is there any certain person i should talk to when i call off road powersports about the kit for the sld? Just talked to the service guy at the dealer and he is willing to put the kit in for me when he goes in to replace the sld under warranty!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by cornicejumper
I have a new sportsman 850 with about 600 miles on it know. Does anyone know if the 850 has a torque limiter in the drive system, Under heavy load when going up a steep hill pretty much wide open it seems that something is slipping in the drive train, It will start ratcheting and u have to let off the throttle to get it to catch again. To see if i could duplicate the problem on my carport i put it in low and took off pretty hard, about 1 out of 3 times i could get it to do it there to, guess im wondering if it has some kind of torque limiting slip clutch or if something may be broken??
Any info is much appreciated
We had the same problem with the same unit but we put larger tires 28" and it slipps all the time. We welded it and that didn't work, still slipps. Where's this kit that there talking about and who sells it? That would make us really happy because it's a demo 850xp and customers are now complaining about there own. We've contacted Polaris headquarters to see if they've heard of this issue and there denying any issues or repairs to this matter chris77416@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: sportsman 850 Problem??