Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Sportsman left front not spinning

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Sportsman left front not spinning

my speedo went out recently and the AWD stopped working of course. I read here about the bypass and did so successfully. However, now I have noticed that the AWD is engaging when back wheels spin but the left front is not spinning and the right front does. I pulled the left tire off and checked the black wire that leads there, it is not broke but was pulled very tightly and I loosend it. Any ideas on what this may be and how to correct? I did change the hub oil twice but that did not do the trick. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like ur wire got to tight, and broke it somewhere, along the line, u can try to fix it, but it's just as easy to replace the hub coil, although that is rather pricey

Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
sounds like ur wire got to tight, and broke it somewhere, along the line, u can try to fix it, but it's just as easy to replace the hub coil, although that is rather pricey
sportsman hub coil kit... 83 bucks is all

Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider

ill agree with the wire broken. im shure it streached tell it broke the copper wire and just streached the covering. if you had a volt meter you could check ea wire just to make shure.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer

I have a volt meter, how do I test it?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

well on the volt meter there is a diode or a beeper on mine. so when the two leads are touched it beepes. but you will need to find the begining and the ends of both of the wires. there is an LR83 safety switch. i beleve its under the front nose cone. that pannel that gets removed. there will be a brown/white wire going into that. remove the plug and find that wire. the other wire can be found at the plug on the right handel bar by the switch. just un plug that and that color will be either a gray, or a gray/white. i dont know if you want to remove the front hub again. but the other ends will be there. unless you want to cut the wires and check them that way to narrow it down, then resolder and heat shrink them back together. but if it is the problem its all gona have to be removed. but i dont know if they sell just one side, or if the whole awd harness has to be got.

but my guess is since the one side works it will be a wireing issue with that side.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

When you did the bypass, you need to have grounded out the right wire. There are two. Grounding one will take care of both tires, but the other will only do one. I figured mine out looking at the wiring schematic in my manual.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Old 05-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

What year is that schematic from?

On the 02 my dad has, there are two sets of wires that run out of the headlight pod. One goes to the right wheel, one to the left. We tapped into the right tire set, or in our case, the one of top of the other. I just cut into that wire and ran another wire to the ground that's right there. We tried the other set of wires, but it would only work the left tire.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

my old 2000 sportsman

Quick Reply: 2000 Sportsman left front not spinning