Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 06:12 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Coolant leak

I noticed today I am leaking coolant out of the top of the coolant bottle cap from the pin hole

What would this be caused by and how can I fix it

It does have the rubber insert under the cap

Old 06-03-2009 | 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

could have a leaky head gasket letting some compression pressure into the system but you would also notice steam coming out of the tail pipe. the other thing would be a bad thermostat but your hot light should flash

Old 06-03-2009 | 06:22 PM
|
Range Rover

NO steam from the tail pipe thats the good news so far

if it was the thermostat wouldnt the fan not come on? The fan does go off and on

What causes it to leak from the bottle just the fluid is to hot ?

It also didnt empty the bottle it went from max line to Min but I only rode for 45 min

Old 06-03-2009 | 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Mine sprays out when the engine gets hot & the radiator is plugged so it cant cool.

I think if it was the head gasket you would see bubbles in the coolant if you watch it with the rad cap off & engine running.

Could also be a defective rad cap that is letting of before I think 13 psi.

Old 06-03-2009 | 08:01 PM
|
Range Rover

Originally Posted by upnort
Mine sprays out when the engine gets hot & the radiator is plugged so it cant cool.

I think if it was the head gasket you would see bubbles in the coolant if you watch it with the rad cap off & engine running.

Could also be a defective rad cap that is letting of before I think 13 psi.
Thanks how do you unpluf the radiator ? OR see if it is infact plugged. I will also try and replace the cap and see if that fixes it

Old 06-03-2009 | 08:47 PM
Range Rover

I would check the rad make sure it's not pluged, also check to see if you can see movement in the rad with the cap off, also check the vent line to make sure it's not pluged aswell. A pluged vent line with mud or something else would definitely cause this.

Old 06-04-2009 | 08:53 PM
|
Range Rover

Originally Posted by midcity mudder
I would check the rad make sure it's not pluged, also check to see if you can see movement in the rad with the cap off, also check the vent line to make sure it's not pluged aswell. A pluged vent line with mud or something else would definitely cause this.
No Movement without Rad cap on . Some vibration but no bubbles or anything . I am wording if I have a bad cap as someone else pointed out.

Where is the vent line I will also check that

Old 06-04-2009 | 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Just done mine last w/e. Pulled off fan & back shroud, side shields. Used pressure washer on WIDE fan (front & rear) so as not to bend fins also used compressed air from back & front until water ran clear & could see through it again. Made sure rad was full of coolant.

Old 06-04-2009 | 09:42 PM
Range Rover

If you don't see movement of coolant with the rad cap off I would have to say that the impellar for the water pump is not turning or the nut came loose somehow. It's a lock nut but could happen and your telling me it's not overheating and the warning light is not comming on. Did you check the coolant vent line to make sure it's not pluged like I had mentioned earlier?

Old 06-04-2009 | 09:47 PM
|
Range Rover

Originally Posted by midcity mudder
If you don't see movement of coolant with the rad cap off I would have to say that the impellar for the water pump is not turning or the nut came loose somehow. It's a lock nut but could happen and your telling me it's not overheating and the warning light is not comming on. Did you check the coolant vent line to make sure it's not pluged like I had mentioned earlier?
O kit does move but I took that as vibration from the bike. IF Irev it it moves more.

I did not check the Vent ok dont laugh where is it ?

No its not overheating I'm sure it would once it ran out of fluid but that hasnt happen and no warning lights

Quick Reply: Coolant leak