Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

85 Trail boss 250 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 Trail boss 250 stalling

Hello all, I am new here so HOWDY! Anyways, my trail boss I just picked up is giving me issues. First off its a bear to get started. When you do get it running it flat will not idle, you have to keep feathering the gas and it has to stay full choke to run. If you release the choke even at high throttle the bike stubbles and will flat die like it ran out of fuel. I pulled down the carb and cleaned it really well so all the jets are dead clean, and the carb boot is in good shape. Also it is really loud. It has a clanging sound like the heat shield on the exhaust is rattling. But its internal someplace. Thats the best I can describe. Compared to my 03 trailfire its at least 3 times as loud. Anyways, if anyone cares to help me out in the guessing game or were to start it would help. Thanks, Ray

Old 06-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayzors85
Hello all, I am new here so HOWDY! Anyways, my trail boss I just picked up is giving me issues. First off its a bear to get started. When you do get it running it flat will not idle, you have to keep feathering the gas and it has to stay full choke to run. If you release the choke even at high throttle the bike stubbles and will flat die like it ran out of fuel. I pulled down the carb and cleaned it really well so all the jets are dead clean, and the carb boot is in good shape. Also it is really loud. It has a clanging sound like the heat shield on the exhaust is rattling. But its internal someplace. Thats the best I can describe. Compared to my 03 trailfire its at least 3 times as loud. Anyways, if anyone cares to help me out in the guessing game or were to start it would help. Thanks, Ray
Could be excessive piston slap making noise plus causing not to idle because of low compression. Check compression,minimum of 100 psi. Plus Could be crank seal leakage also.Everything has to work hand and hand on the the 2-strokes to run properly.If compression on the low side,probably time for a rebuild.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

If it needs a piston and crank work, can it be bored out or does it have one of those chrome surface jugs you cant even hone. Also, if bearings and seals are required, is that a do at home job or take it to a shop. I do have a press.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayzors85
If it needs a piston and crank work, can it be bored out or does it have one of those chrome surface jugs you cant even hone. Also, if bearings and seals are required, is that a do at home job or take it to a shop. I do have a press.
Boreable cylinder,but if needs a new rod then you need a press,truing stand and dial indicator to true crank(shop job) Seals and crank bearings(2 bearings on clutch side,one on stator side and seals can be done at home.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Crank Seals - Both of them !

Hi rayzors85
I went thru the same thing you are doing I think, follow my Posting, you will see waht I did.
I'm not an expert but I did change Both Crank Seals and my 1986 Traol Boss 250 starts up like it's new at the Touch of the Starter button - when it's cold.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...wont-idle.html

Timmy from Connecticut