Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Polaris 90 Scrambler help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris 90 Scrambler help

I was given the above stated ATV; it would crank every now and then but was hard starting. I carried to the Local Polaris dealership and was told the carb needed rebuilding. Did that, spent 120.00, still wouldn't crank any better so I carried it back. The owner of the place stated the mechnic checked the engine and it only had 105lbs of compression and needed 150 or more to crank and run properly. I payed 700.00 for the rebuild. I got it back and it still would never crack without kicking 50 to 75 times. I call the Polaris dealer back he stated the engine was new and I may need to get a new plug. Well off to the dealership bought 3 plugs. The starter doesn't work and I hate to spend an additional 150.00 if if still wont crank. I have put 2 of the three plugs in and still 30 to 40 kicks to crank when its cold.

After all this I called the shop back and explained to them it will not crank without 10 minutes of kicking. He tells me to bring it in. I carry it in and he tells me the engine needs rebuilding again because I put the wrong 2 cycle oil in the fill container. It was run maybe an half hour since the new rebuild and that was on the oil the shop put in. I then ask him to fix it, he called me and said he had it ready for pick up and there would be no charge. I was relieved, but I got it home and it still wont crank without 20 to 30 kicks. I am at a loss and have nothing else to try.

I was told to buy a starter becuse the starter clokes it when I try to crank it. So in other words the electric choke doesnt work when you kick start it. Is this true?

When I do get it cranked and take off the feels like the chain is skipping over the teeth of sprocket but they are not. I think my this is in transmission. Could some one give me some ideas.

This has been a hellatious event for me.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

First make sure your chain is tight and sprockets are ok,no broken teeth,especially on the front. Second: on hard starting try blocking off air tube with your thumb while you kick start machine,usually works a lot better than the elec choke. Manual update choke kits available,but can still have the same hard starting problem. Had a little "teams tips" bulletin on blocking off air tube which allows more gas upon starting!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you were willing and able to stick that much cash into that quad , why did you start with someone elses headache that was already junk(low compression,bad tranny, starter toast, etc) instead of just buying one you could test ride , i see running ,nice looking scrambler 90,s all day long on craigslist for around 700 bucks, anytime you get something expensive for free you should ask yourself , WHY... is usually because the previous owner knows it will cost more than its wort to fix it

just my .02

Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Agreed...should have know better

Originally Posted by itch
if you were willing and able to stick that much cash into that quad , why did you start with someone elses headache that was already junk(low compression,bad tranny, starter toast, etc) instead of just buying one you could test ride , i see running ,nice looking scrambler 90,s all day long on craigslist for around 700 bucks, anytime you get something expensive for free you should ask yourself , WHY... is usually because the previous owner knows it will cost more than its wort to fix it

just my .02

My wifes Aunt bought 2 of them new in 01 the one I ended up with just stopped cranking so she was going to haul it off to the dump. I took it with the hopes it had an ignition issue or gas issue. I never thought I would spend this much on it; would not have if it were not for my 6 year old. I did it just because of her, but have seemed to dig myself a hole.

Thanks for your response and tips, anything would be better than kicking it so many times, while the sweat drips like a water fountain.

The electric starter is bad, I think I might try and save some money and order me one. I am concerned about burning a new starter up trying to crank this ATV from hell.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanks for the tips

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
First make sure your chain is tight and sprockets are ok,no broken teeth,especially on the front. Second: on hard starting try blocking off air tube with your thumb while you kick start machine,usually works a lot better than the elec choke. Manual update choke kits available,but can still have the same hard starting problem. Had a little "teams tips" bulletin on blocking off air tube which allows more gas upon starting!

Thanks for your advice, I am living a nightmare. Where can I get a starter for this critter that won't break the bank?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech

I went outside and checked the sprockets and they look nearly new. Also closed off the air tube and then kick started it. After 27 kicks I finally got it to run. Where can I get a maual choke kit from? Kicking this thing in 90 degree weather and 75% humidity it killing me.