Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 Sportsman 800 X2 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Sportsman 800 X2 won't turn over

All,

I have a one year old 800 X2 that has been sitting in the garage since it's last snow removal duties in March. Started and ran fine when I parked it.

Tried to start it today and the panel lights turn on but it just makes a singe click whenever the ignition switch is turned. The lights were pretty dim and died out so I put it on a charger for about 6 hours and tried it again.

Panel will now light up, flashing battery indicator light comes on and I get the same clicking noise when turning the ignition switch. Lights work fine, winch works fine.

I'll give it a full 24 hours on the charger and try starting it tomorrow. Anything else I should try in the meantime? Looks like the battery is going to be a bi+ch to remove and replace. You would think that a high maintenance/replaceable item like a battery would have easier access.

Anyone else have a 2 cylinder X2 model with battery/starter issues similar to this? How long did it take to remove the battery? This bike is now out of warranty, so I will probably look to replace it with something a little better than OEM. Thinking about an Optima, not sure if I can get one that fits.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Mark

Old 07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Batteries can loose 1 percent of charge daily when not used! Over a period of time they will sulfate and cells will short out and wont hold a charge. You can getup to 3-4 years service if you have on a trickle charger/maintainer and not have to replace yearly! Optima batteries and such are better,BUT if not maintained will do the same thing! Yes they are a Bitch to remove on the X2.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea there not that bad on the regual 800's to remove. i dont ride mine for almost 6 months out the year, but fully charge it before i put it away and never touch it and it always starts right up(love efi). proper charging is pretty important for the life of the battery and even (imo)when new if they dont get that first real good charge, the life of the battery suffers in the long run. put your bike on the volt checker inthe dia. screen to see how volts its reading even before you start it and if its not reading inthe 12 volt range then the battery is most likely junk if you have already charged it. imo.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, looks like I'll have to start leaving it on a battery tender. I'm not looking forward to yanking out the battery on this machine.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X2

Definitely want to leave a trickle charger on it if it sits for any period of time. It will greatly extend the battery life. Ditto on buying an Optima battery if you need to replace it. They are worth the extra $!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Yah, and when you purchase the replacement battery at $140, then that charger will be a savior

Old 07-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

just make sure you 100% charge the new battery before you use it.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Never understood why Poo wouldn't leave the recoil on these ATV's, what's another couple of pounds on a all ready overweight ATV, plus it would give more people a piece of mind in cases just like Brew1?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

I dont think i would be able to turn over a big bore haha. And im a pretty hefty dude

Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by war1ock
I dont think i would be able to turn over a big bore haha. And im a pretty hefty dude
my guess that is the main reason as well as a weight savings.

Quick Reply: 08 Sportsman 800 X2 won't turn over