Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rear brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake problem

i got a 2006 sportsman 800 model.The rear brake goes al lthe way down with no resistance to it at all.It is like no fluid in there.I did not see a resevoir for the brake fluid.Is there one i am missing ?

Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes

You have the resevoir on the front left handlebar and on the right side tucked in above the rear foot brake. There are two bleeders on the rear brakes(one for each reservoir). Check the levels in both and bleed. Pick up a pump bleeder from any auto parts store to make life easy if you don't already have one. They are not very expensive and make the job go much faster!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

And if you dont have a pump bleeder? whats the way to do it? Ive never had to bleed brakes b4.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default My wife's 2006 has the EXACT same problem...

Originally Posted by rob883
i got a 2006 sportsman 800 model.The rear brake goes al lthe way down with no resistance to it at all.It is like no fluid in there.I did not see a resevoir for the brake fluid.Is there one i am missing ?
Her brake pedal has zero resistance, and I also cannot find a separate reservoir for it. There's almost GOT to be one but I can't find it.

I've inspected all along the brake lines, master and slave cylinders, etc. and can't find any indication of leaks or other problems.

Based on the above comment that there really IS a reservoir, I will dig into it again this weekend and see if I can find it.

Please report back and share your results!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

the resevoir on the handle bars is for the front and rear brake the front handle pushes fluid tothe rear and front brakes all the same

Old 08-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default You do have a rear reservoir...

Go here and find your year and model.

Parts Pit Stop | Honda OEM Parts | Honda Power Equipment OEM Parts | KTM OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

Then look under "Master Cylinder, Rear"

On my 2004, 500 Sportsman the reservoir is under the seat with a tube that goes down to the cylinder.

Good Luck.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just follow the brake lines to weasr the res. is located. if there isnt any leak of the brake lines then the fluid should still full. polaris rear brakes arent very good and never have been. they seem to lose pressure for no reason so sometimes if you leave say like a brick on the foot brake lever over night sometimes it will help build the pressure back up. imo

Old 08-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Range Rover

My 06 Sportsman 500 has the same problem. I tore the back brake pedal assembly apart and there is only a couple of o-rings in there. I have one that is pretty much toast and the other is not far away. Now the unfortunate thing is that you can't just buy the o-rings and do a rebuild. The new assembly is a unit from Polaris and is about $100.00. I have learned to live without it and just use the front brake handle that works for both the front and back.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stendori
just follow the brake lines to weasr the res. is located. if there isnt any leak of the brake lines then the fluid should still full. polaris rear brakes arent very good and never have been. they seem to lose pressure for no reason so sometimes if you leave say like a brick on the foot brake lever over night sometimes it will help build the pressure back up. imo
I agree, Put a large brick,etc to push and hold down the foot brake. Check it the next morning. Works wonders. Polaris changed the resivoir height to a lot higher in relation to the master cylinder seems to have remedied the problem..(air)

Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya UTU i should've mentioned about the new placement of the resivoir which does fix that issue and mabe some of you could try to place your old one higher up and rebleed it good to fix it. just suggestion that might work.

Quick Reply: rear brake problem